Thistle Seeds - Good Button Treats?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've heard "Finch" food is a good treat for quail, well Thistle Seeds are their favorite food, just got me to thinking. Can I give my quail thistle seeds? [​IMG]

I have been giving them Parakeet food for treats, but just wondered if I could switch to something else. [​IMG]
    Thanks~

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately! They'll love finch food, and my friend who has buttons feeds hers a finch seed mix and fruits/veggies (I think hers like apple and potatoes) soft, boiled, and ran through the food processor. [​IMG] A teaspoon in each cage everyday. I only know cause I've had to tend to them before when she was out of town - lol.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Woohoo, nice to know! [​IMG]
    Danke Shern ~ ( Thank you much in German. )

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Oh, I've heard of the finch seed mix, but couldn't ever find it, what does it have in it?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have started giving my CHICKENS nyjer thistle seeds, and they LOVE them. I presume quail would also like them (but I have never had quail).

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I give them to my birds - both Coturnix & button quail. It will be more important for them to have grit when having seeds, though, so that they can digest it.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awesome! [​IMG]
    In our "Driveway" there is alot of small, tiny rocks, could I use these as grit?

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Might be okay if you know they are clean. Driveways can get oil, gasoline, antifreeze, etc. spilled on them. They also have to be awfully small rocks for button quail. I take a hammer and mash up chicken grit.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I might try that for my chickens instead of my quail. I mostly just use sand for grit for my buttons.

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I grind up oyster shell and mix that with finch seed into my Gamebird crumbles.

Edited to add. The chicks just get the oyster shell grounds and gamebird starter (no finch seed).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by