thor growing too fast??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by v.cyr, Mar 2, 2012.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    ok. Thor( cross between out buff brahma roo and one of our BRxBO hens) hatched out jan 31
    [​IMG]

and here he is yesterday(march 1)
    [​IMG]

lil bugger is just a couple ounces shy of 1 lb... none of our other chickens have ever grown quite this quickly... I know that some birds(like cornishX) can have health problems from growing too fast...should we be concerned

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I would say he should be fine. BUT ive never actually raised any Large breed birds. i have had a few sprout up quickly. but as long as he is acting healthy, and eating and drinking and everything a lil boy should be doing. than i dont see a problem?
    it COULD be cause he is a cross??? i know Large breeds grow slow, but could the other one be causing him to grow faster?

3. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    he acts pretty healthy, as far as we can tell... runs around like a lunatic most of the time, picks fights with "mom"( actually had to separate him and her... she finally had enough of his shenanigans and started attacking him yesterday)... gets lazy when we pick him up, but heck, Rocky( his dad) still falls right asleep within seconds of getting picked up, so I think that is just the brahma in him...

4. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Hahaha i have never had a brahma, but from what you just describe, i really wanna give some a shot! lol
    they sound hilarious!

5. Mingming

Mingming Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    NJ
    Sorry my 2year old posted and I can't quite figure out how to just delete it! My babies were born on Jan 30 but the one we think is a boy sure doesn't compare to him! Maybe she's a girl after all!

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You would fall in love with Brahmas, I guarantee it. I have a Brahma roo, and he's a big, lovable 12 pound lug. Brahma hens are mello little sweethearts.

7. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    [​IMG]?????[​IMG]

8. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Hahaha its to funny that your two year old replied [​IMG] Already starting em on the chicken obcession huh??? [​IMG]

I have seen about 3 of em at fair one year. They were Gorgeous and VERY calm, they just kinda stood there and talked to you and coo'd lol i REALLY think im gonna have to get some this year! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by