thoroughbred lip tattoo help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gaited horse, Aug 16, 2008.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
  2. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Totally unreadable, sorry.

[​IMG]

3. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Well, if I stand on the other side of the room it almost looks like 371?

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That would be my guess, too.

(That's a totally weird pic. [​IMG] I didn't know horses got tattoos in their mouths...why?)

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, you'll need to post a better picture if you want help reading it. Try taking a bunch in hopes of getting one in good focus?

I know of nowhere you can get *free* access to the Jockey Club database by tattoo number alone - although if you find someone who works with racehorses who's got a subscription, they might be willing to run it thru for you. You need to have a pretty good reading of the tattoo for that, though.

If you can get a correct identification of his registered name from his tattoo, you can get his pedigree for free online (usually - unless he's not in the online database, which sometimes happens). For race records, again, you will have to pay money to the JC unless you can find someone with an unlimited-access subscription. It's not real expensive, something like $10-20 depending on what info you want. You do need to know for sure what his registered name is, first, though.

Have fun,

Pat

6. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    The best way to read the lip tatt is to rub the inside of the lip vigorously and then read it. If that doesn't work, get a blue or black light and you will be able too. ITs prob a 20 yrs judgin from the fading. What is the background?

7. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    You'll have to have a better pic to read that. It should start with a letter designating the year of birth, followed by 5 numbers which are the last 5 #'s of the horses' registration #. I'll have to double check but the last "A" should have been 1997 which means a foal born this year that goes to the track & is entered into a race will be tattooed starting with "L".

8. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    you might try fuglyhorseoftheday.blogspot.com and email her a better pic. She's got some good resources for identifying TBs.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    to me it looks like 687M but that is probably not even close.

10. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by