Those Broodies are Like MAGIC! LOL

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Jan 11, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I've tried incubating eggs twice without very much luck. Fussing over temp/humidity, worrying constantly that everything wasn't perfect. Then, one of my silkies decides she wants to be a mom for the first time. So, I think "okay, I'll let her keep five eggs, maybe one or two will hatch." She had one hatch out on Saturday. Many times the eggs were out from under her this weekend (technically lockdown time). At one point, I even picked the egg up, and put it back underneath her. The temps have been FREEZING this weekend.

Soooo, today she is up and about and has FIVE chicks running around her!!!! They all hatched!!! Even though I kept having to push them back under her when I went out to check on her. How crazy is that?! I worry constantly when trying to hatch eggs using an incubator and she leaves hers out in a freezing cold coop and THEY STILL HATCH!? I just don't get it....BUT I'm happy to have five more babies!!! [​IMG]

2. luckypickens

luckypickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    CONGRATULATIONS on your 5 new babies, makes you wonder how they can do it so perfect under such awful conditions and we have trouble getting a few from perfect conditions! Have fun with your miracle babies![​IMG]

3. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Broodies are the best incubators! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by