Those Curlycue Light Bulbs!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Birch Run Farm, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Today I set up a light in the indoor chicken pasture to simulate a longer day length for the purpose of egg gathering. I perused the hardware store for an appropriate bulb and bought one of those new fluorescent bulbs desigend for the outdoors. It looks like a flood light bulb except the curlycue bulb is just inside the outer glass bulb.

I had reservations about it. The package promised it used the energy of 23 watts but would provide 90 watts of glow. Yep, I was skeptical. [​IMG] It is one very cold climate I live in and the last couple of days have been horrid.

I set up an over head lamp fixture which is an unused brooder base. Attached a timer and plugged it in. It glowed and quickly became brighter.

The chickens got a glint in their eye too. The Muscovies trundled into the indoor pasture (a TSC Garage in a Box) and sat down and preened. Hmmm.

So it did appear to be plenty bright enough, I hope it does save me some on the electric bill!

Anyone else using these items?

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I use one in my coop in the evening for about 30 minutes from dusk. Just to show the girls the way in. It works well and doesn't really take that long to get brighter.

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I have not seen the flood light type yet.

We use a curlycue one in the coop to help with laying in winter. I use it from about 4 in the morning till about 9 am. It puts out 60 watt but only uses the cost of 20 watt? Or something like that.

4. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Will this type of light help with heat also when its so cold? I wasn't sure about it......

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I don't believe so, Antiquebuff.

Electrical energy degrades into heat energy. If there are not many watts, I suppose there can't be much heat.

Fluorescent bulbs produce light more efficiently but that doesn't equate to heat - as best as I understand.

If the light bulb is only using 20 watts, the heat would be the same as any 20 watt bulb or curling iron, or whatever (wattever [​IMG]).

Steve

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I use one to light up the driveway. It didn't say "indoor only" on the box, so DH and I figured we'd try it and see how long it lasts. We've had it up since Hallowe'en. I'll let you know if we have any problems. One thing is for sure -- it's BRIGHT!

In the house I use the natural light "sunlight-replacement" bulbs. They're supposed to help with seasonal depression. DH and I both get that mildly in the winter months.

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Where are you buying the flood light types at? Have not seen them here, maybe not going to the right store. That is why I am asking.

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I got mine at wal-mart [​IMG]

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I got mine at the local True Value hardware. They did a $1.50 rebate right on the spot for it too.

For those looking for heat, no, you'll need to use a brooder bulb for that. I don't recommend heating unless you have chicks. Adult birds do not need heating in the winter, just the option to get out of the wind, dry shelter.

10. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Just so you are aware if these energy saving lights...they are ONLY made in China and, I believe after 2011, these will be the only lights you can have or buy. They have mercury in them and if one breaks in the house they recommend you turn off your central heat/air until its cleaned up. They also say the mercury content is minimal but hey, they said your pet food was okay too, didnt they? Check Snopes or Urban Legends whatever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by