Those dang chickens! Bedtime woes...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Suburban Sprouts, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have a small flock of mostly 15 week old chickens. When they moved outside they spend a solid day in their coop... But alas, only two silkies and two 7 week old babies go into their coop at night! The rest all try to roost on top! Is there any hope that they will eventually go inside on their own or am I doomed to have to snatch them one at a time and shove them in?

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    For about the first week, you really do have to go out there and put them all in at dusk. Wait until it's just a little bit dark, and they'll be easier to round up.

Take's them a bit of time to learn........[​IMG]

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I always "train" mine to recognize a feeder - I use a small rubber feed pan (it's actually intended to be a horse feeder), and I put yummolicious treats such as hard cooked eggs, yogurt, etc. - I begin at a few weeks old. Eventually, the associate the feed pan with treats. When they are older (around 15 weeks) I use BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) & call them...they'll come running. I do this each evening, getting them used to knowing they'll get a treat in the evening. Then, I simply put it inside the coop. I do that for about a week, and "wean" them off of it. By then, it's become habit for them to return to the coop at night.

4. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, I could try that. I don't even attempt to put them to bed until it's dark... otherwise it's a rediculous chicken chase... These ladies moved outside at 7 weeks old, so I really thought they'd be trained to put themselves in their coops by now... Oh well. It's not a huge sacrifice to grab 'em and put them to bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by