Those darn chickens,lol

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bayouchica, Oct 9, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Okay ever since I have had my chickens (3 + yrs) they have always hated layer pellets.. [​IMG] So for the longest time I have been using the blender to chop'em up. They'll eat it no problem.
    Awhile back Deb ( justusnak) was saying that Purina has layer crumbles.. I had no idea.. I got my Purina dealer to get some.. the chickens love it.
    Now I have some mallard ducks, feeding them Flock Raiser in pellets form.... now my chickens flock (lol) to the freaking duck food. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Those silly birds. [​IMG]

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Yeah, yesterday when I went to local feed store to buy some layer feed she asked pellets or crumbles. They are on grower pellets right now so I just got pellets because they don't mind it. But I was wondering if they would prefer the crumbles. I also HAD to buy them a treat while there, meal worms, not only that but SUPER meal worms. I buried them under some dirt and they had to ACT like chickens and scratch them out. So funny to watch. Cheaper than going to the movies, too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

SO man....sounds like my house here ,
    my dogs eat the duck food, ducks eat dog food,chickens eat duck food,ducks eat cat food...ducklings eat everything,hens eat only crumbles,ducks play in crumbles,ducklings nest in crumbles,dogs eat cats,cats eat birds..birds eat crumbles??? squirrels eat everything
    [​IMG] [​IMG]'
    [​IMG] that is me trying to get food to the right flock/animal !

4. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    Mine love the crumbles, they don't care for the pellets or the mash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by