Those living in the city or the barley rural.... How many chickens??

Fancie

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Illinois
I figured everyone who has lots of chickens must be living way out in the contry... but the city folk... how big are your flocks?

I live right out side city limits on just 1/4 acer and have 5 chickens (and plenty chicks.) I have yet to deside on my final flock size... So I wanted to see what you have gotten away with....

We live on a half-acre, but it is within a typical subdivision (paved roads, gutters, sidewalks, etc). We are allowed 10 chickens. We have 6 currently. BUT....(the fun part!)...we are getting 51 chicks in next week. Theoretically half will be roos, so they will become dinner before anyone can complain about them. The hens will be split 50-50 with DHs best friend, which will leave us with 12-ish. So our final count will be ~18 hens.
celebrate.gif
Our neighbors don't care and the city will only care either if they get complaints.

ETA: Cities vary by code. DH's best friend lives on 3/4 of an acre and it is not in a subdivision. He is only allowed 3 chickens! They even have a limit on how many fish he is allowed! He will have ~10 hens, no roos, so I doubt he'll have a problem.

Last edited:
Sssshhhhh.

We are allowed 20, and no roos. My blue ameraucana roo hasn't crowed yet but I saw him do the dance with the blue ameraucana pullet today!

I have 19 (1 roo)... and 12 chicks. ( 8 are roos!)

So eventually I'll have 22 hens and 3 roos.(as long as they aren't loud)

5 chickens. No roosters.
2 bantie and 1 standard chicks on the way.

None are legal in my city. Although they were YEARS ago according to a neighbor that has lived here her entire life and whose family had chickens

I live in a semi rural area (I am .5 km from the city limits) I have no Idea how many chickens I am allowed to have if any..I figured I would just get them and wait till someone complains and then play stupid...OOOO I had no idea thing i figured we were in the country in all
wink.png

so I have 10...and plan on getting more this coming weekend...
yippiechickie.gif

and I have a plan with a former neighbor who lives in town..
she has 2 hens and is not allowed to have them at all so when the animal control officer comes and tells her that she has to get rid of hers...they will come and hide out here for a few weeks...lol
hide.gif
then go home and repeat the precess when her nosy neighbors complain again

When we lived in the city a few years back, I had 2 roos and 6 hens. We did fine until DH put a large tree stump out front and the "people" came by. Left a note to call the city. He told DH chicken were not allowed in the city limits. DH promptly told him according to our attorney, I could have chickens as pets. The city guy said, I'll need to check on that. A few hours later, he called DH back and said we were right. He never said we couldn't have roos or if there was a limit. BTY, we did check with our attorney who is a good friend of ours and he read the ordinances before we got the chickens. Said he would represent us for free if the city took us on!

We have about 3/4 of an acre. Not in town, but not far from town.
It's kind of like a cross between rural, and suburb.

I didn't bother checking to see if I can have them, because my neighbor 2 houses down has them, and they just range where ever they want.

I asked my neighbor directly behind me if he would mind if we have chickens, as he would be the closest to them, and he said he doesn't care.

But he added that we might not be allowed to have them at our place because it's not zoned farm. I said well what about the guy on the other side of you. He said well from the other side of our house and back down the hill is zoned farm. (doesn't make sense to me.)

So seeing as that guy has rosters, I know I hear them crow... I'm just going to have mine, and see what happens.
I don't plan on letting mine wander all over like that other guy does. I mean his chickens go into any yard they want. Mine are going to be in a run till we have a tall fence up around our back yard... then they will get time loose in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom