Those of you that sell chicks, what advice would you have for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stone_family3, Apr 9, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm wanting to sell my extra chicks privately and want to make sure I'm ready for anything.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Make sure they are healthy. You have an ethical responsibility not to sell sick or otherwise unhealthy birds.

Be honest about what you are selling. If they come from for-real show stock then it's OK to sell them as such. If the parent birds have never been shown and you have no track record of showing then don't pass them off as show stock. Same for saying they are great layers or whatever. Be honest about what they are.

Bring some little boxes or something for your customers to take their birds home in. It's sure bet you'll get customers who don't have anything to carry them in.

Be prepared to give advice about feeding, brooding, and just about anything else having to do with chicken keeping. Especially about acceptable feed brands in your local area, waterers, and heat.

Decide before you go what you want for the chicks then decide on whether you are wiling to dicker or not. Particularly for quantity purchases.

And have fun! You meet some of the most interesting people at swaps.

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks, i was thinking of trying my hand at CL first. I have a small batch of chicks currently and also I have no idea where any swaps are in my area, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by