Those of you that tarp your runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Dec 8, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a new girl that can fly pretty good, since she's at the bottom of the pecking order she keeps flying out of the run (which is covered but is poorly done since I did it myself). So I'm going to tarp it since it's nothing but mud and the snow should be coming soon.

I tried a blue tarp we already had and it was so dark the girls didn't want to go out. What color tarp do you guys recommend? Do they make clear or white tarps?

The run faces the East side so it gets a lot of morning light.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I personally would put them out and maybe lock them out for a while, with food and water and treat.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I use a blue tarp over the top and and clear plastic like you use for windows on the sides.

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:When were had a lot of rain days and I did have a tarp over it this is what I did, but it was still 70 degrees out. I'm in Ohio and normally it would be below freezing and snowing, would that still be okay?

How long would you lock them out for? I open the door at 7am and close it up about 6pm.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi! I'm also in Ohio, and I bought 2 rolls of 4mm plastic from Lowes, and then their run still gets light during the day. Works great, and it's only $9.99 a roll, and you get plenty of it! I just used a staple gun and stapled it to the frame. The plastic is very think so it hasn't torn.

Sharon

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Awesome habor freight has a 13' x 16' 6mil drop cloth that is clear for $1.99. I might have to pick a couple up!

7. evenstargirl

evenstargirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I thought about doing this myself for my Silkies, but I'm worried about when the snow and ice come. Would several inches of snow weigh down a tarp too much?

8. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:Since I have to go out several times a day I'm planning on just brushing off as much as possible. I do have a make shift cage roof so that will help support some.

9. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    I've got a brown tarp over 80% of my run. Doesn't seem to bother them a bit. I'm actually in the process of coming up with a new cover that covers the whole thing so they'll quit playing in poopy mud puddles.
    Keith

10. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I had to laugh at this, i previously had a dark brown tarp over the run, they had no problem. We had a bad storm end of october and it collapsed the run. So we rebuilt and now have no tarp. First couple of days the chickens wouldnt come out.....must have been too bright!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by