Those of you who celebrate Easter - what's your Easter dinner/supper menu?

Sessie

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2016
SW Sussex County, NJ
Mine's mixed Russian/Polish/Ukrainian.

Hubby's first ex-wife is Ukrainian-American. His second ex-wife is Polish-American. I self-identify as Russian-American because I was told, all my life, that we were Russian-American… didn't find out 'til last year, when I started digging in my ancestry in order to try to make a family tree, that my father's family was primarily Russian (but turns out that it had some Ukrainian as well), but Mother's was mixed - Polish on her mother's side and Russian on her father's side. I don't know why I was lied to, and now I'll never know because I lost my mother December 26, 2014 and my father January 14th of this year (2016).

So, since I'm the family's best cook and the one who best loves to entertain at home… I'm cooking for the holiday. (very well blended family) I am making everyone's favorites.

Table Centerpiece - huge bowl containing dyed eggs and pysanki and the Easter bread… well, in my case, breads, plural - each of the three ethnicities have very specific specialty bread of essentially the same recipe, but very different shapes, for Easter in particular. Everyone wants their won that they grew up with. Since the bread is the same recipe (plus or minus some dried fruits), I can accommodate by making triple batches of the sweet egg yeast bread, adding or withholding the dried fruits, and doing them in the required shapes, before baking them all together in the oven.

Kulich - Russian Easter Bread (a sweet egg bread similar to challah or brioche, with raisins, candied dried fruits, plenty of whole eggs, sugar and honey, and whole wheat and white flours - the tall, cylindrical loaves are baked in tall soufflé dishes or - often - simply in old cleaned-out 2- to 2.5-lb coffee cans, decorated with fluffy white frosting and colored sugar sprinkles)
Paska - Ukrainian Easter Bread (similar type of sweet egg bread, but more like Greek Easter Tsoureki - shaped into a three-strand braided ring with a very, very dark red dyed egg backed into the center or shaped like a swaddled baby and the same very, very dark red dyed egg is placed where the baby's face would be… and no frosting or sugary sprinkles, just glazed with sugar-laden egg wash)
Babka - Polish Easter Bread (the same kind of bread as above, but braided (sometimes more or less strands than three) and no dyed red egg baked into it at all)

Course I:
Borsch (beet soup) with tiny pirozski (pierogies, in Polish - if you don't recognize the Russian word for them)

Course II:
Roasted Smoked Kielbasa
Salat Olivier
(a Russian salad sort of like a cross between potato salad and Italian antipasto - potatoes, carrots, peas, hard-boiled eggs, chopped pickles, and chopped cooked meat (chicken - or beef, or maybe salmon) and mayonnaise and sour cream - it's molded or piled into a platter over crisp lettuce leaves, and lightly covered with more fresh homemade mayonnaise as a cake would be frosted with frosting)

Course III:
Easter Smoked Ham in Dough (done similarly to Wellington)
- with horseradish, beet horseradish & mustard sauce (coz Russians overdo everything, lol)
Kurnik - Russian Chicken Pie (not like American pot pie, quite different)
Cucumber-Radish salad (thin cucumber slices and radish slices in mayonnaise and sour cream with plenty of scallions and dill)
Carrot salad (thinly julienned carrots with raisins, dried dates, currants, dried apricots, walnuts, sour cream & honey)

Course IV:
Pashka (Russian cheesecake-like dessert that is unique to Easter only)
Makowiec (poppy seed filled struedel-like pastry roll)
Perekladanets (Ukrainian 4-layer torte with layers of poppy seed filling, cinnamon sugar walnut filling, sugary date filling and sweet apricot filling… just like the Russians make, only the Russian version includes also a meringue topping… did I not already say that we Russians overdo everything? lol lol)
Russian tea - (smoked) black tea, brewed very strongly, and taken through a sugar cube held in your teeth or with a spoonful of fruit preserves or jam stirred into it - served from my paternal grandmother's family antique brass samovar, brought over with them to the U.S. in the early years of the 20th century

Sorry to hear about your father and mother! I think it's great that you take the time to prepare foods that reflect your heritage. Our family is German on my mom's side and Scottish on my dad's side, both of which we are very proud (particularly the Scottish side
big_smile.png
). However, we go old-fashioned American on Easter. First it's church and then good ole' fried chicken served family style with all the fixings. These include mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, greens, green beans, and salad. Sometimes a few member of the family will bring various casseroles, like cheese-carrot casserole and green bean casserole. Dessert is usually homemade cobbler or pie and/or chocolate cake with ice cream (and if you want to count all the candy from the Easter eggs that everyone hunts before dinner!).

Last edited:
Thanks, LRH97. When you get to my age, you kind of have to expect to lose your parents. Everyone who ever knew my parents knew that they'd never bother to stay alive after the other one passed away. Daddy held out for a year, then he just gave up and "went to go be with [my] mother". Parkinsons Disease robbed me of Mother. Daddy just left. Poof! He went to sleep after supper one night, telling the aide that he was finally able to go to my mother. She didn't take him seriously. he meant it. He left us.I have no doubt that Dad found Mother. shrug

It's now up to me, as the eldest of my generation, to carry on family traditions. Just a few weeks shy of my 55th birthday, and I'm the family matriarch. sigh It's rotten. And I have the added responsibility to ensure that the traditions of the Polish and Ukrainian branches of the family also are carried forward… since both of hubby's ex-wives are - like hubby - significantly older than I am. Someday I will be all that's left for my step-children and grandchildren to look to as Matriarch. My first cousin on Dad's side, who is only 6 months younger than I, has no interest in being Patriarch, although his father is currently our Patriarch. He and I have discussed it. It's up to me; the responsibility is mine. I had always feared that this would happen, and hoped that my cousin would choose the responsibility… but I guess I've bullied him too many times in 53-1/2 years, and he won't. THIS is why I should never have been such a rotten bully! lol Too late now.

Your Easter dinner sounds delicious! And much easier to cook, too. lol

Thanks, LRH97. When you get to my age, you kind of have to expect to lose your parents. Everyone who ever knew my parents knew that they'd never bother to stay alive after the other one passed away. Daddy held out for a year, then he just gave up and "went to go be with [my] mother". Parkinsons Disease robbed me of Mother. Daddy just left. Poof! He went to sleep after supper one night, telling the aide that he was finally able to go to my mother. She didn't take him seriously. he meant it. He left us.I have no doubt that Dad found Mother. shrug

It's now up to me, as the eldest of my generation, to carry on family traditions. Just a few weeks shy of my 55th birthday, and I'm the family matriarch. sigh It's rotten. And I have the added responsibility to ensure that the traditions of the Polish and Ukrainian branches of the family also are carried forward… since both of hubby's ex-wives are - like hubby - significantly older than I am. Someday I will be all that's left for my step-children and grandchildren to look to as Matriarch. My first cousin on Dad's side, who is only 6 months younger than I, has no interest in being Patriarch, although his father is currently our Patriarch. He and I have discussed it. It's up to me; the responsibility is mine. I had always feared that this would happen, and hoped that my cousin would choose the responsibility… but I guess I've bullied him too many times in 53-1/2 years, and he won't. THIS is why I should never have been such a rotten bully! lol Too late now.

Your Easter dinner sounds delicious! And much easier to cook, too. lol
Your parents sounded like wonderful people. True love never dies. I admire you for stepping up and assuming the role of Matriarch. I'm sure our dinner is significantly easier to prepare than yours!
big_smile.png
It's effective though. Lots of full tummies and people saying they're ready for naps afterwards. Stay strong and a blessed Easter season to you and your family!

Your parents sounded like wonderful people. True love never dies. I admire you for stepping up and assuming the role of Matriarch. I'm sure our dinner is significantly easier to prepare than yours!
big_smile.png
It's effective though. Lots of full tummies and people saying they're ready for naps afterwards. Stay strong and a blessed Easter season to you and your family!
That's what matters, LRH97: Full tummies, happy times & memories - and most important, the family all together. A blessed Easter season to you, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom