those of you who lost chickens to the heat...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by slackwater, Jul 27, 2010.

1. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Those of you who have lost chickens to the heat - are your chickens in a coop, or do they free-range?

I ask because it recently reached 100+ here, with a heat index of 110+ plus, and my chickens were hot, but okay. I didn't take any extreme measures (fans, ice water) to keep them cool. They free range and did their own thing. HOWEVER, none of the adults are "heavy" breeds such as orps or cochins (though I do have those in chicks). Will I need to worry more once my "heavy" breeds are adults? Or will they be able to stand it on their own as long as they are allowed to do their own thing?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Heavy breeds suffer in the heat, but can usually withstand it if they are provided with plenty of water, air circulation, and shade. If you are dealing with meat birds such as CXs, that changes. Meat birds drop like flies in the heat. I have almost 3 y.o. Jersey Giants that have done beautifully in both scorching heat and frigid cold. I have never done any more for them than I would do for any other animal.
    ETA-my birds don't stay in their coop in the heat of the day. They have their run, or I allow them to free-range.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    All our birds free-range and do quite well in the heat. Certainly, they aren't as active and find places to hang out in the shade. Most of the backyard where they range is shady anyway. I have fans in the rafters of each coop, so when they come in at night, or when they go to the nesting boxes to lay, they have a breeze on them. We just keep the water refilled at all time.

My silkies have a turn-out paddock as well that is part sun/part shade and they have access to their pen (southern for coop [​IMG] ) all day as well. The only difference is that I put a waterer out in the paddock in the summer as well as the one in their pen. That way they don't have to go back into the pen for water...they can stay out in the shade. But again, some choose to go into the pen because there is a fan on at all times in there too.

I do believe that they tolerate the heat and humidity better in Florida because there aren't such extremes in the temp and they are accustomed to it. Once it gets hot...it stays hot. No "cool fronts" coming in and then getting hot again.....I wish!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by