1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Those of you who read this and then skip past...Please, I need this question answered. It might be d

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MeghanChickLady, Aug 8, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    I heard its bad to wash eggs if you are going to incubate them. I heard it wipes away a layer of protective "skin" that keeps bacteria out. Is this true?I need eggs, we don't have very many, but we have plenty in the storage that we got earlier from our hens. It says to not use them if they've been stored for over 10 days, but not all of ours have been. Is that true?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a really nice article in the Learning Center on Hatching Eggs. You don't want to wash Hatching Eggs because it removes the bloom or cuticle, which helps prevent bacteria from getting inside the egg and slows moisture loss from the egg.
    The fresher an egg is the better chance it has of hatching, after about ten days you really start to see a loss in hatch %, you can set older ones and some will hatch, just not as many as if they were fresher.

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Instead of washing them I'd try to wipe as much off. I recently put quail eggs under a broody hen that I had in the fridge for almost 2 weeks and today i found one that fell out of the nest box so I cracked it open and there was a forming chick inside. I read a lot about it and was skeptical but it can be done. Good luck!

4. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you guys! I thought I read that somewhere...I`ll definetly check out that article. And I didn't think you could put other bird eggs--not just chicken--under a broody hen! I guess its kinda obvious that you can, but I never really thought about it. Thanks!

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    And then there's the Trader Joe's Hatching Club where we take TJ washed fertile eggs and incubate them....just because you can! Many successful hatches.

6. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

I've not even given a thought to trying to hatch any, as we are mostly in it for egg consumption, and humanely raising meat birds.
    But, we have considered letting some eggs just sit in the nest, and see what happens. Problem is, we have 15 layers, and a VERY affectionate cock. We never can keep track of what is what, past 24 hours, as all of the girls, like to use the same two nesting boxes. We built our coop, with growth in mind. There are 22 boxes, and 144 sq ft of floor space. Yet they all NEED to use those two boxes. Okay, I get it. That's the way hens are. But, it makes keeping an eye on eggs, pretty difficult, as we get 3 colors, and 3 general sizes, out of our 15 grown up girls. So, we've simply not really considered hatching.
    But, we have some interesting breed combinations, that might (or might not) make for some interesting results. Our head honcho Roo, is a BIG Australorp. Very big. We also have a Rose Comb RIR, younger, but trying to get busy, as he gets opportunity. As for the girls, we have two Australorps, two Barnevelders, two RIR's, two New Hampshires, a Dominiker, a Swedish Flower, and a Basque, and four red production hens. And another 50+ various breeds, growing out. None of the ladies, are broody, as best we can tell.

Sounds like they could make some interesting babies. And, it got me to thinking, I might want a small, reasonably priced brooder, to begin hatching my own. But I know very little about chickens (I had my feet put to the fire, when my wife bought a BUNCH of babies, from Atwood's, this spring, then we got some adults, because we wanted eggs, to eat. The boys, just came with the adult girls) and less about hatching. I don't even know the length of time in the brooder, they would spend. But, hey, I'm willing to try.
    Does anyone have a recommendation, for a reliable brooder, available at a decent price? Brand and retailer? I'm not sure I want to start with a home built, until I understand the process, better. I'm a po' boy, and can't afford much, but, I'm willing to spend something, when I think I see an advantage.
    Recommendations, please?

7. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Not sure if you're looking for an incubator to hatch the eggs or a brooder to raise the chicks in until they're feathered.

In any event, try Craigs List. Sometimes stuff's there for the taking. If you're looking to buy, a Little Giant incubator can be purchased no frills at your local TSC or feed stores or on eBay for relatively cheap (as in under $100 and even under $50). Brooders can be as simple as an aquarium or a large cardboard box and a heat lamp bulb. I have a lot of friends that use their bathtubs (in a spare bathroom) for brooding in a pinch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by