Those of you with homemade incubators...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens, Jan 25, 2010.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Do they work as well as the storebought kind? What was your hatching rate? How dependable are they? I know that a lot of factors can play into it, and these are very broad questions, but what has been your experience with homemade bators? I am particularly interested in the outcomes of the ones that are heated using a light bulb and a hot water heater thermostat. Thanks!

2. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    Well I'll have to let you know on that one since my new homemade bator is currenty going through a rigorous testing stage but I did build a still air last year and it managed a little less than 50% hatch rate. I decided to start from scratch and build a cabinet forced air bator this year, it has two 60 watt bulbs and a water heater thermostat. As soon as I can get the temp leveled at a constant 99.5 - 100 degrees and 40 - 50 % humidity level I'm going to give it a go. I'm hoping to start a hatch in a few weeks.

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I've used both and have had far better experience with my homemade incubator. I have the ability to adjust temp/humid easily when needed. I started off with the small styrofoam incubator and then up'd it to a large cooler. My next project will be converting an end table/night stand into an incubator. I've seen the instructions on here and cant wait to try it out.

Everytime I used my bator I had crazy temp spikes that killed the eggs. Used it 2 times and borrowed a friends and had the same thing happen. Everytime all eggs were lost. Now I understand why my friend never used it.

Good luck with your choice.

4. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I thru a homemade incubator together about a month ago. So far I have hatched 16 out of 17 eggs set. I am really testing it at the moment. I have set 41 eggs with a couple days inbetween sets. I have them in diferrant areas since this incubator can hold 108 eggs.
    I used two 100 watt bulbs and a hotwater heater thermostat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once it is proven I am going to build one with the same ideas but more attractive looking. I am thinking about an Oak Plank cabinet.

5. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:It seems to me that I remember a while back when the Home-made Incubator contest was running that someone said they were able to get much more accurate control of temperatures with a hot water heater thermostat if they drilled holes in the casing. It made a lot of sense, but I have never since found that post. Would love to re-read it. What did you use for a cabinet B-Rocker?

6. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    Quote:do you have a photo of the inside bottom where the bulbs and water are?

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I am in the process of building one now but I am using a coffe warmer heating element ( 75 w) for my heat source, that and the water heater seemed to have a rather large temp differentional I splurged on a johnson controls t-stat so far testing it I am not getting hardly any temp swing at all I was thinking of using a blow dryer for a heat source I am probally gonna try a few off the wall ideas before I am through LOL I built mine maybe half the size of jc's I have the wood to play with just laying around I found a couple of coolers around here as well might try one of them too . I hav'nt quite finished the door yet I will try to get a few piccys up the next day or so .

8. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:do you have a photo of the inside bottom where the bulbs and water are?

Here is one pic.
    [​IMG]

9. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:It seems to me that I remember a while back when the Home-made Incubator contest was running that someone said they were able to get much more accurate control of temperatures with a hot water heater thermostat if they drilled holes in the casing. It made a lot of sense, but I have never since found that post. Would love to re-read it. What did you use for a cabinet B-Rocker?

You need to look up just1jack's page. I actually have a hyperlink to him from my homemade incubator page. i llove my cooler/bator. It works great, holds a steady temp, and all thanks to jack's page about the hole drilling thing.
    editited to add just1jack's link
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=26580-thermostat-modification

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by