Those of you with homemade incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Apr 6, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    How do you add more water during lock down?

I'm currently using a bendy straw and a generic squeeze bottle with fine tip (like the ones used in hair salons for dye).

I'm thinking of taping in some tubes for adding water to my jars and for adding water to my washcloths.

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    well, as long as there is no external pipping, I open it real quick and either spritz some water in or pour it into the container. That is the only way I have to do it.

If they have already started to pip, then I just hold out for the best! [​IMG]

So far I have had pretty good hatches. Have 3 eggs in lockdown right now, due to hatch this weekend.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have 50 eggs due this weekend LOL. I have had 3 hatch so far and one working on it so this is the best hatch I've ever had :) and it's my 3rd go round.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I don't. I use my old styrofoam bators for hatchers.

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I use a tube attached to a funnel. Just from stuff I found around the house.
    [​IMG]

Where the tube comes in, I leave a funnel for the water to collect.

[​IMG]

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm thinking of picking up some tubing today and duct taping it to the inside where I need it to go.

7. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    I can't ever get my humidity high enough in my homemade with just a bowl and a sponge. . .
    During hatching time I put a warm, wet wash cloth on the top level right over the light bulb and the fan.
    That really does the trick!
    I was completely unable to follow the "lock down" rules during my last hatch and still had an incredibly high
    hatch rate--only lost one developed chick, and that one was deformed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by