Those of you with the Hovabator Genesis 1588? Hatcher?

noahsmom

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2013
North Eastern, Ky
For those of you with the 1588 or really any incubator, how do you handle lock down?
I've seen people who have two bators, one for the first part of incubation then when lock down happens around day 18 they have another they put the eggs in.
I've read a few people say that the eggs cannot hatch in the egg turner in the 1588 so what do you do?
I am still planning to build my own incubator just because I think its neat, but I believe tonight I will be ordering a Hovabator genesis 1588 just for the peace of mind for my first hatch in march.

I also wanted to add I will probably be having something like a staggerd hatch for my first time. This is because I will be purchasing eggs from two different places. So, maybe a cheap still air and the genesis? Since I just really can't see spending $300 on two bators at this point. I'm probably over thinking all of this, but I tend to do that over everything so no surprise.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add I will probably be having something like a staggerd hatch for my first time. This is because I will be purchasing eggs from two different places. So, maybe a cheap still air and the genesis? Since I just really can't see spending $300 on two bators at this point. I'm probably over thinking all of this, but I tend to do that over everything so no surprise.
That's how I do it. I use the genesis for the first 18 days and a hovabator 1602N for the last 3. You can do staggerd hatches sucessfully this way. Even if I'm not doing staggerd hatches, I still move the eggs to the other incubator for the hatch so that the genesis stays clean. Just remember that the still air would need to be set up 3 days in advance to ensure the correct temperature,

Also, if you go with the hova bator 1602N for your cheap still air incubator, you can interverse the tops and bottoms of the 2 incubators. So the genesis top could be placed on the 1602N styrofoam bottom. This is helpfull when I don't feel like starting the still air, but I still want to keep the genesis bottom clean. I move the eggs to the 1602N bottom where they hatch, but the top is the genesis's electric thermostat and fan.

Other wise, you can simply leave the eggs in the genesis for hatch. Just take out the turners, lay the egg on their sides, and increase the humidity. Good Luck!

Thank you! I'm still trying to decide if I want to purchase a still air.
I just purchased the Hovabator Genesis 1588 with the Auto Egg Turner straight from G.Q.F a few minutes ago !!
wee.gif

(& Just for anyone that are comparing prices like I had to do - the total for me was $192.44 w shipping (zone 4))
I'm so excited!

We were hoping to get started on our coop/run this weekend buying supplies but I'm actually snowed in today! My fiance works for our state road department so he came in at midnight last night and works all day today until late tonight, so looks like towards the end of mid-late next week when we are supposed to get temps in the 40's-50's we will get started!
smile.png

I ended up buying a genesis 1588 with auto egg turner and I'm going to remove the eggs at day 18 put 2 egg cartons inside and place the eggs in these to hatch. It will keep it a little cleaner and for right now I think it will work for me, If I end up incubating more often than just once or twice then I will think about a different set up.

Back
Top Bottom