1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Those of you with well water, please read...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jul 16, 2008.

1. This is our first home which uses well water.

We are noticing that we can "use up" the well and then have to wait 20 minutes or so to get water again.

Is this a danger sign that our well isn't as good as it could be?

I only ask because we've been trying to fill up our pool, one of those inflat-the-top-ring ones and over the course of several days we have about 8" of water in the pool while my neighbors across the street habe the exact same size pool and filled it all in one shot without any interruption from their well.

Our house is a good 240 years older than their but I don't know how old this well is...

just curious...

2. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Is it a well problem or a pump problem?

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    We used to have well water we still do outside...but I don't know anything about it. We would run out sometimes and would have to dig it deeper, and didn't have water for several days.

4. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    I have a well that is 30 years old & about 120 feet deep. I would suspect your pressure tank is worn out or low on air. I am by no means a plummer or know diddly about it - but it sounds like low pressure to me.

5. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    It could mean you need a new well or that your pump isn't functioning right or it could just mean you have a shallow well. It wouldn't hurt to call and have someone look at it.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Does the water slow down and the stop or do you hear air gushing and
    then no water?

Either way it is a big problem. With the amount of rain we have gotten
    this spring any well in RI, CT, or MA that does that has a problem.

Ang may also be right. You may just have a shallow well.

7. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    Our well is only 4 years old and we have the same kind of pool. And It takes us 3-4 days to fill it up. I have found out if you turn the hose on low at night and let it run all night it does better than wide open .

8. The water slows and then stops and when we go to turn it back on you hear air sputtering out before the water comes.
    Usually it only happened after we've been running it awhile, like if I ran the dishwasher while I did a load of laundry and then went to take a shower [​IMG] But up until we noticed the neighbors filling their pool in a little over a day without any stopping we just assumed it was normal well stuff.

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    It could mean a few things. Your tank may be low on pressure. Your pump could need replacing. You are right. Your well could be low. Sometimes the water table changes too. I know they have been putting in new houses within miles of our house and our water pressure has gotten low. I think they are tapping into our water veins some where.

10. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    I had never lived with a well before we moved out here. We have had strange things happen...well, I think they are strange but my well guy just shakes his head at me.

Like one day I got up and there was NO WATER. None. Nuthin. So I called the well guy. He came out and said ants were in the well electric stuff and shorted it out.

Honestly. Ants. I hate them.

So I'd call your well or pump guy because to me it sounds like something with the air bladder in your pump. And you can tell what an expert I am, right? [​IMG]

Good luck. If it's as hot where you are as it is here, you really NEED to fill that pool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by