1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Those oh so amazing mutt chickies!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by luvmychicknkids, Feb 6, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    When I hatch shipped eggs I like to throw in a few of mine or my mother's eggs to compare the hatch rate. One of my favorites is my mom's EE hen, Miranda. I swear she would be fertile without a roo!!! LOL And, all her babies are healthy, strong, and gorgeous. You never know what to expect. I was at mom's today and took a few pics of some of her offspring. Now, keep in mind, every one of these comes from the same hen/roo pair. She is your basic brown/black EE and the roo was a black sex link.

Starla (yes, HIS name really is Starla LOL)
    [​IMG]

Stormy (not wanting her pic taken)
    [​IMG]

Valerie
    [​IMG]

Clara
    [​IMG]

Esther (the mother hen is to her left in this pic, Esther is the middle chicken)
    [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    They are all so pretty! Even the boys! I am so excited to see what my "mutts" look like. Day 17 tomorrow.......

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I just love hatching mutts!!!! It is like opening a present.....they can look so different from what you expect!!!!! And to me they are some amazingly beautiful chickens!!!

Good luck on your hatch!!! Can't wait to see pics of the little darlings!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thanks! I am a little nervous, this is my first hatch. [​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Does Starla have a pea comb?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Now that is amazing that they all came out of the same Roo X Hen combination! Don't you just love genetics! God just made life fun for us didn't He/

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yes, it is amazing they all came from the same pair of chickens.......that is one of the reasons I just love hatching hers. [​IMG] You get an amazing variety with them. [​IMG] Of course, since EE's are basically "special" mutts and so are Sex Links, there is a lot of genetic diversity to work with. [​IMG]

Yes, onthespot, he does have a pea comb!!! Very observant. [​IMG] I am not sure I would have been able to tell from that pic if I didn't just know him. [​IMG]

I bet your hatch will do just fine, thechickenchick, I remember how nervous I was with my first hatch. And my second, and my third, and my fourth.....LOL It is a nerve wracking thing to do but so amazing and fun!!!! I doubt I would have ever got up the nerve to even try without BYC...this place really makes it so much better!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by