Those sneeky little hens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dragonfly Ranch, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    So I'm thinking the hens were taking Labor Day holiday seriously since I only got three eggs that day and usually get 8-9 from the 10 hens. Last night 4 eggs in nesting box. OK they are getting back in the groove. Change the water and as I turn around I look in the wine barrel cooler that we put reusable ice blocks in on hot days to help keep them [​IMG]. Guess what! [​IMG] 10 eggs in the corner of the barrel. Not from just one hen but from all 5 varieties that we have. So I ask "who laid all these eggs"? They looked at me and started pointing at each other. So guess I'll have to look in there too - silly hens - just got to love 'em. [​IMG]

2. littlegip

littlegip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Romulus Michigan
    lol...thats cute [​IMG]

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] At least you found them....

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    That's cute...we should have a smiley of chickens pointing at each other, I think...

5. StacyK

StacyK Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Sumner, WA
    Very funny!! I keep finding one at the bottom of the ramp. Not sure if it's getting laid at top in the coop & rolling down, or someone is just lazy & not wanting to climb up [​IMG]

6. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    haha cute story

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:[​IMG] Thats cute!!!!

8. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    at least you have never gone on the easter egg hunt of doom my sil went on. her inlaws free range 50+ birds and only gather what they need....so my sil was finding bad eggs here there and everywhere. one day she got sick of it and did a several hour search for bad eggs. she filled up 2 five gallon buckets of old eggs. those where just the ones that didnt explode when she touched them. [​IMG]

9. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Quote:Gross! [​IMG] I'm sure glad I found them when I did. Think of all the money they could have made off those extra eggs! How did they guess which ones were OK to eat. And, surprised that they didn't have baby chicks all over the place.

10. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    how do you think they got up to 50+ birds running around? lol

they only gathered from the one nest box and used those every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by