those special "chicken moments"

MetalSmitten

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
bloomington, indiana
Inspired by a recent post, what's your favorite special chicken moment? Y'know, the ones that remind you that there is still goodness in the world.
tongue.png

Today I watched my baby chickens eating wild strawberries.

When my sweetest most favorite black copper marans hen walks up to me and puts a foot on top of my foot, cocks her head, looks up and says boooowooockkkkk??? Then I pick her up and we have a walk about the yard.

I have those moments all the time,..you know I am often finding myself thanking God for my barn it gives me a kind of peac e I can never really explain to anyone. I took this picture the other day,..I have to keep reminding myself not to go to the barn without my camera! I went down and there is my goat with 6 baby chicks on her back. I ran up to the house as fast as I could, nearly losing my husband pajama bottoms that i was wearing on the way up to the house,..imagine that rubber boots, running women, bucky smelling hoodie and hands clutching said pajama bottoms for all her life,..heck what would the neighbors say,..all the way I am praying don't move Appy don't move. Well she did,..she lost two chicks but I caught her with 4 yehaw and then one jumped on my flower and that was a great shot too. Let me also say when i finished with the photos the chicks jumped from them to me and i ended up looking like a statue in central park
roll.png

31944_appychicks.jpg

31944_farm_015.jpg

I also have a Black Copper Marans, and she will always come running the second I open that back door of mine, just a talking..we have a lot of good little chicken and people talk. Not sure about the words, but I'm sure we are feeling the same love.
love.gif

Quote:
Aww, I love your pictures..I would have done the same thing..where's my camera???!

i think you phrased that very nicely, about how it gives you a certain feeling of peace. that's exactly what it is
smile.png
bringing the natural order of things back into our lives.

Quote:
Mine are still in a brooder but I know how you feel. I love going into the room and just watching them.

deb

Last edited:
My Black Australorp, Matilda, is the one in my flock that has to tell me things. She comes to me and buks and bawks, chumbles, and even trills her stories to me. My Cuckoo Marans Bernadette is also a conversationalist, and she wants to sit in my lap and tell me things right to my face. Earnestly.

But an hysterical chicken moment was when Buffy, the BO, was testing out the new rollaway egg nest box in the new coop. Carl, the roo, had already jumped into one side, turned around, and made encouraging sounds to her. He jumped out, she jumped to the perch, looked in, and then entered it. She settled down comfortably, looking almost royal. I was outside the coop, peeking in the window. So I opened the people door - planning on telling her what a good girl she was - and Buffy SCREAMED at me.

She didn't get up, get flappy, or appear panicked. She just opened her beak and let out a good, long, loud BAAAAAWWWWWK at me. Immediately, I apologized and closed the coop door, to slink away.

Uhhh... wait, aren't I the Human and didn't I build that coop??

A little while later, fluffy Buffy flounced down the ramp into the run and came up to see if I had any treats for her. I didn't, but she let me skritch the back of her neck anyway.

Back
Top Bottom