Those that also own goats with chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ab333, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ab333

ab333 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Amherst
    Is there a feed/grain that you feed both? Just wanting to buy one type of grain/feed instead of chicken feed that is harmful to goats. Though I keep them away from it, but it would be nice......
    Thanks everyone
    Amy

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If you are feeding dairy goats. Anything you give them will be OK for chicks to eat a bit of too. Meat goats have a different diet and I am not sure but it is very high in protien so would not be ok to eat alot of for chickens. I would still get chicken feed either way.

3. ab333

ab333 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Amherst

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    If your goats are wethers they shouldn't have grain. It can lead to urinary calculi. Keeping the wethers out of the chicken feed is the hardest part of taking care of my little hobby farm.

5. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    My Nigerian wethers get grain. It just needs to contain amonium chloride (I think that's right)

6. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    My goats get hay and a goat feed/all stock mix this time of year. I do NOT allow them access to chicken feed, it really can't be good for them, and it is murder on my pocketbook.

7. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Just make sure that if you have goats, sheep or cows that your chicken feed is labeled as being "rumen free."

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If you are putting copper in goat feed then do not let chickens get ot it. But if you are just doing loose grains and alfalfa hay or pellets you will be OK with the chickens eating it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by