those who know chicken parts.... please help what is this??*graphic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, May 24, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I need help this chick is about 3 mo. old and I have no idea what happened but there is this thing sticking out of its throat. the end of it is hard and I am afraid to pull on it as I am not sure if it belongs there or not. Other than this weird thing she is acting fine. She is a leghorn if that helps at all. I had just moved them into the coop with some older chicken and have it sectioned off with a short fence but 2 of the young leghorns flew over it and was with bantams, I moved them back over this morning but I am not sure if I just didn't notice this earlier. ANY IDEAS??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she is not dead she is just clam when I hold her head.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    no clue but it does not look good sorry

3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    anyone else? [​IMG]

4. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    the pointy end is stiff like a hard feather...

6. La_TomboyGirl

La_TomboyGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    NW Louisiana
    Never had experience w/ this, but I'd put hot compress on it for several minutes few times a day, clean area, coat w/ neosporin & separate her from flock if anybody seems to be picking at it. Might be able to open the end & get the feather out as described below if it doesn't improve on its own in a ew days: (all i could find any detail in was small pet birds/parrots, but same idea, I guess?

How Should I Deal With A Bleeding Pin Feather ?

Pin feathers bleed when they are damaged. This occurs, most often when new feathers replaced clipped ones of the bird’s wing. In a natural molt, mature feathers protect the erupting pin feather from damage as the bird flaps its wings. But when the wing is clipped, the new feather is unprotected and often becomes crimped or damaged. Bleeding feathers also occur when the parrots chews on their feathers as a way of relieving stress and boredom.

Damaged pin feathers will not heal on their own. They will continue to bleed when they are moved or disturbed. So you need to pulled or plucked out the damaged pin feather or bring it to a veterinarian or experienced aviculturalist if the task is beyond your abilities. Removing the damaged feather can be quite painful to the bird if it is not done quickly and purposefully. If you are squeamish about it, let someone with more experience do it.

Here is what you should do or have done:

1) Your parrot needs to be restrained in such a way that it cannot bite or claw you but in a way that allows it to breath freely.

2) With forceps (hemostats) or some other grasping instrument, the feather needs to be grasped as close to the bird’s skin as possible and then plucked out. Tweezers are unsuitable except for the smallest birds.

3) Hold pressure on the area for a minute or two after extracting the damaged feather shaft to allow time for clotting to occur.

*** A link: http://poultrycommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?2623-Feather-cyst

***A different piece of info on topic:

Q: I have adopted a 3 year old male Blue-Crowned Conure. He wasn't treated well by his previous three owners and was nervous and missing a lot of feathers when I got him. His feathers have all grown back in, and he has been very healthy, according to our vet, but tonight when I was cuddling him, I noticed what looks like a cyst. It is about the size and shape of a pencil eraser. It is behind his right wing, on his back. It feels hard, but I have not noticed him picking at that area, and he did not squack at me when I examined it and touched it. He is getting his winter feathers in. My husband says it looks like an ingrown folicle, but since we have never had a large bird before, we aren't sure. Our vet is out of town for a while, and we need to know if this warrants a trip to a new vet. Please help advise if you can!! Thank you.

A: It sounds like it could be a ingrown feather follicle. Obviously I would recommend getting it checked out. Whether it is an emergency is really up you. - Dr. Lonnie Kasman

A: No need to rush to the new vet as long as the bird is not picking at the site. You do need to set up an appointment with your regular vets as this could be an "ingrown" follicle and likely needs some attention. Good luck - Judy St. Leger, DVM

Hope this helps. I'd definitely remove from flock, do compress, clean w/ 50% peroxide solution & slather w/ neosporin if it were me. [​IMG]

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    thanks sooo much!! I will try that

8. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there. Poor little sweetheart, I hope she's still hanging in there.

My advice would be, don't remove whatever it is. I'm not an expert on bird anatomy, but I've done a lot of biology/anatomy study and have been dissecting animals I've found dead in the wild with my mother (who taught anatomy at the time) since I was a child.

I am assuming that the injury is separate from that, and not the cause of it -- in other words, the hard thing was not something already wrong inside her which caused that wound. Whatever that is you're pointing out in the picture looks fleshy to me, and you definitely don't want to pull something out that's fleshy and alive and still attached.

I'm basically trying to work without a visual on this to keep from getting tunnel vision about whatever that thing in the picture might be, since I can't really see anything that looks hard.

There are several "hard" things of differing textures that might be found in a deep wound like that in that part of the body, such as:

The trachea. It must not be broken, otherwise she wouldn't be able to breath. Its made of cartilage that would feel kind of "springy", like a hard straw.

A splintered bone -- from the jaw or skull.

Part of the sinuses. Pieces of bone and cartilage anterior to the skull located around the beak can be very thin and sharp.

The tongue. On birds I have dissected, the tongue was strangely thin, flat and tough, like a wet, leathery leaf. However, it is unlikely that is what this is because there is so much tissue and muscle holding the tongue in place so that it cannot slip back down the throat. What you are pointing out there in the picture actually kind of looks shaped like, and in relatively the right place to be, the base of the tongue. I don't know why it would be hard, but it could be . . .

Dried tissue. Tissue exposed to air, especially if it was already tough tissue like a ligament or tendon, can dry to be what one might call "hard". If it has been a few hours, that small thread-like thing I think you're saying is the hard part might have just dried enough to be like a tiny, sharp piece of jerky-type material

The moral is, it could be a lot of things that are better left there. These things are just the ones that come to mind. My best guess would be dried tissue, since it seems to be continuous with something fleshy. But as I said, I really can't be sure I know what you're referencing in the picture.

Anyway, you're clearly a great person to be helping this little bird with such an severe injury. I wish the both of you all the best luck, and I'll check back here before too long! Stay strong, you guys!!

9. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    She diffently looks like she was injured. Give it some time to see if it heals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by