Those who need help in sexing peafowl

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Birdrain92, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    These are my Pied peafowl Thor and Calypso. Thor is 5 months old, male and Calypso is 4 months old female. Thor is on the left while Calypso is on the right. They are Indian Blue Pied. The main thing to pay attention to is the primary wing feathers. See how Thor's wing feathers are bright orangish while Calypso's are a dark brown.
    [​IMG]

2. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    I'd give you 100 bucks if you can 100% sex Opal b/s at 4 months...and I know MANY others that would offer the same.Opal b/s are truly "tough" and the only sure way besides dna is wait,,and wait a long,long time,especially .The hens and male both stay a lite yellow and Opal b/s hens get very little black flecking on their feathers,unlike bssp and IB.The males slowly becomes a very faded tan color and seems to stay that way for a long time,before the lite gray color appears.

1 person likes this.
  3. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I will try and find away to sex them. Probably not successful but I will still take that challenge.

4. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Could you post pictures of the opal peachicks for me wing shots, would help the most for this research.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. While it is true that primary color is one way to sex birds it cannot be used for every color/pattern. Last Friday I was fortunate enough to spend time with two of the best in the business. They had difficulty sexing a couple of 3-4 month old birds. One was a spalding opal blackshoulder that might have been the coolest bird I have every seen. One of them had also recently used DNA testing to confirm sex. If they are not sure, I am confident mere mortals like us cannot reduce the process to a single method.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have an IB hen that has at least one "male" colored primary.

-Kathy

7. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I've seen that happen before it's usually because it's a brand new feather. I got worried too when Calypso had one but then a week later it was just like the other feathers. Same goes with males at a young age they can get a little bit of brown mixed in with it making it look like a female but then it turns. Fascinating about peafowl is how they don't have to molt to change the color of their feathers. Sometimes the feathers will change to the correct color if it wasn't correct. Just as how an Indian Blue peacock will have a train that is barred and then it goes black and then green when two years old. That's how I got so fascinated with peafowl because of all of these mysteries that some people just couldn't answer. So I decided to make my own discoveries. I'm sure some people know and have got websites about it like I do just when I went looking for answers just never found them not to mention it's so much more fun discovering things by yourself without other people. My knowledge is increasing about peafowl just about everyday.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  8. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    ..... little problem .... I think Thor is a female .
    The picture is not so good ! but i see 2 peahens !
    On your avatar, in the first pen there are 2 young females !

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have several young IB hens that have male colored primaries, i found the best time to sex them is between 2 and 3 weeks after that it can be a toss up till around the 4 month mark.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here they are around 2 months
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have no problem sexing mine, was just saying that my 2 year old hen still has a couple "male colored" primaries. They are a different shade of orange, but they aren't like the normal "hen brown", lol. I also wasn't saying that sexing based off of primaries wrong. [​IMG]

-Kathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by