Those who raise geese, please help me convince.....

Discussion in 'Geese' started by happyhen, Jul 16, 2008.

1. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    DH why we should raise a small gaggle of geese.

He hasn't said "no" yet, but it took 20 yrs to convince him into our small flock of hens!

All positives (and negatives) are greatly appreciated in hopes I can present (and win) my case! [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 8 geese. 4 females and 4 males. They are very fun to have. I breed the Toulouse breed. That is a very nice breed. Very social, friendly, and they arent noisy or aggressive like chinese geese. Plus, you can sell the eggs in the spring, if you dont want to eat or hatch them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    I LOVE! my 2 toulouse geese. They are lovable, not toooo talkative (except for my female Essie who never shuts up but she's young.)

My gander, Chris loves to be held and is the best watch dog we've ever had.

I would tell anyone to get geese if they have the room for them.
    Mine are lucky because they have a creek to swim in on our property so I don't have to provide a swimming place for them. But you can have them without a pond or a creek.

I'm hoping for some little ones next spring.
    And there are 5 who come to visit mine everyday from the place behind our fence.

And my hubby was reluctant about the chickens and the geese but Chris is his bird. Goes everywhere he goes. And answers and comes as soon as he calls him where ever he is off playing.

We love them!!

Jacie

4. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

I have chickens, ducks and geese. Geese are definately the most personable and interactive. They really bond with people. They eat grass, so they help keep the grass down in the yard. They don't tend to get in the vegetable garden and destroy it, like chickens do.

We have two geese and plan to get one or two more next year. They really have tons of personality!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Geese can very much be like a dog - your best protector, lovely companion - they also prefer to graze and will mow your lawn very nicely.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I were living on my farm, I would have a pond and some Canadian geese.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ooooh, geese, those sound like fun!

Happyhen, if you convince your husband, will you have him call and convince my husband?

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Geese, definately geese.

I now have 4 and they are absolutely wonderful. You don't need a big pond, they love their kiddie pool.

9. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I love my 2 White Chinese Geese! They really only get noisy when I go out and talk to them...they love to chat with me. lol They are incredibly smart and interactive...more so than my own dog lot of times. [​IMG] They learn voice commands very quickly, and can easily be trained to do specific activities. Mine come running when I call them, come individually when I call each of their names, play with toys, stop doing something obnoxious when I nag them [​IMG]

They even help me collect up and herd the ducks anytime I want to bring them up to the front of the run. Seriously. When the geese see me start to walk toward the ducks, they run ahead, circle around in front of the ducks, and spread their wings and walk/run them up to where I am. It's pretty neat!! I need to get a video of it.

So...you guys should defiinitely get geese. I'm a fan of White Chinese because of their spunky personalities and their graceful beauty. All geese are lovely, though!

10. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Not to be the raincloud, I DO love my geese. BUT...

They poop like dogs, quite literally. I have HUGE turd piles, everywhere.

They mow the lawn-but randomly, completely at whim. I have spots that are almost bare, others that need mowing.

They like to dig holes in the ground with their beaks. (My embden was pretty comical looking the other day, her face was solid mud, just little blinky blue eyes) Anyhoo, my yard is full of rather large mudholes now. Large enough that I actually fell in one today and came out with a twisted ankle and a shoe full of mud.

Now, keep in mind I have 11 geese doing this....BUT, they are roaming 5 acres and STILL feel the need to lay their "logs" on the front porch. Alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by