Those who use ecoglow a question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmtcmkb, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    My chicks are 3 1/2 weeks and have been using the ecoglow since day 1. They are in a spare room with natural light and I keep a regular bulb lamp on early in the morning and maybe an hour or 2 after sunset. I still have the brooder on the lowest level, but do have it propped up evenly about an inch on wood blocks. They seem to be fine I made the switch after the first week. They go under the brooder all night as soon as lights are out until I turn lights on in the AM. They use it occasionally durng the day but not very much. Last night I noticed one chick ( possbily lowest in pecking order that I can tell) wasnt sleeping under the brooder all night, rather she was on top, and she was there all night. Should I be concerned? I dont know if it was her choice, or if there wasnt enough room? What has your experience been. This is the ecoglow 20 and I ahve 5 chicks.

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    At that age, they will be fine. Mine hardly ever used it by that age and often would perch on top. [​IMG]

3. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    okay, well I just shut off the room light and watched, they scrambled a bit seemed to struggle for position and the same Chick sort of gave up and settled on top.....I guess she is fine, she is one of the least feathered, but they are in my heated house and that particular room will be about 65* by morning.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Well, I know brinsea says not to, but I always moved mine up to the higher position when they got older. If you are concerned, you can place the little one under once it's dark and they can't see to push it out? [​IMG]

5. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I thought about doing that last night I think I will try tonight and tomorrow raise it a level thanks:)

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I raised like 15 chicks under one 20-chick brinsea, so I am sure the little one could fit. If she WANTS to sit on top, that's one thing, but I think if she wants to get under and is getting pushed out I'd just plop her under there in the dark. [​IMG]

7. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    well I tried twice to put her under and she went right back on top, so that must be where she wants to be... I am still going to raise it tomorrow as when they were trying to re=position the thing was moving all over and I dont see the harm in raising it another inch.

8. CountryCentinel

CountryCentinel Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    CDA
    The Ecoglow seems like a neat alternative to a 250W 24/7 light bill....

Are there downsides to it, is it the right way to go?

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:No downsides IMO except it's a bit pricey to start, but others have crunched the numbers to show it will pay for itself. Have now raised four batches of chicks (one with 40 chicks and two ecoglows) and had no problems at all - and no pasty butt, etc. Only other downside I can think of is when they get older they'll roost on the top and poop on it.. [​IMG]

10. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I LOVE it! I paid 49.99 for mine and to me it's worth every penny for not having to worry about temperatures and bulbs, besides it is safe. The only down side I have found is the poop, they poop on it all the time. I clean it once a day. And it never fails as soon as I put it back on someone jumps up and plops a fresh poop on top [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by