Those with more than one coop.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by johnsons-r-us, Nov 21, 2011.

1. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I currently have a great flock, my first flock and one coop. They all free range. I want to get another "flock" of birds this spring, but I will need another coop. Can the new flock be trained to go into their coop, the existing flock still go back to their coop? I'm hoping they can all free range together, the additional coop would just be for space. How you have added more chickens with new coop? I don't use runs, they just coop themselves up at night.

2. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    They'll probably all start using the same coop

3. diggerthechickenman

diggerthechickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    i have approx 40 birds of various breeds , even games . my coop started as a 10 x 10 dog kennel and has grown to about 1/8 acre. (yard and coop combined) my youngest have just been left out of the (what i call) nursery and are roosting right along with the older ones. almost as if they look to the bigger ones to show them they way . all of my birds have been incubator hatched.

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have three different coops, and free range all of my birds together. For the most part once they get used to roosting in one spot, that is where they return to at night. Every once in a while someone will get confused and go to the wrong coop, or take up with the rooster of the other flock and try to roost with him.

5. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    So do I really need to worry about overcrowding if there is room available? When my flock was just learning to be outside I put up some chicken wire like a pen around the pop door. When they got a little older I took the wire down and just let them range. I was hoping if I did the same thing with the new chicks they might stay in their coop. I don't mind them mixing, just don't want them to feel overcrowded.

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:That will probably work. Once they get used to roosting in that coop they will see it as home. My chickens hang out in the groups they were raised with, with a little mixing, but mostly stay together. There are a few exceptions as some of my roosters work harder than others to please the girls.

7. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Leave them in the run with the coup you want them to return to, for 10 days. They should return there after freeranging the first time. If not, leave them in there another 5 days and try again.

8. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Ok, this was kind of what I was thinking. Easy enough......hopefully!

9. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I raised 2 separate groups the orps was the largest group the brahma group were the smaller group each was started in their own coop they both return to their respective coops at night. On occasion a brahma will go in the orp coop & one of the hens will chase them out. [​IMG] They free range together in the field no problems.

10. johnsons-r-us

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Sounds perfect! I'm going to start a small flock of WRs this spring if all goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by