Thought canker but thinking I thought wrong..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PCPE1013, Feb 12, 2019.

1. PCPE1013

PCPE1013 In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2019
    Hello everyone,
    I have lurked here for the last 2+ years and have honestly really depended on a lot of advice given on other threads for my own girls.
    I've now come to the point where I need some personal assistance ! And what better place to come?

I have a mixed flock of 12 girls. 3 hens and 9 pullets.

One of my hens started shaking her head and had a clear, thick fluid coming out of her beak for about a day and a half. There was no sneezing or coughing and she was eating just fine. Her crop was emptying and she otherwise didnt seem to be in any discomfort.
    I started Tylan50 as I was sure it was the start of a respiratory infection as I didnt notice anything abnormal in her mouth or any smells etc.
    I tried this for a few days and her fluid from her beak stopped and the scratching did but the shaking hasnt stopped and now all of the girls are shaking their heads.
    I bought fish zole 250 and acidified copper sulfate to treat canker as I felt that had to be my only next option. It is day 2 on the antibiotics and day 2 of the water solution and everyone is STILL shaking their heads. I was sure it was likely the VERY beginning of canker as the antibiotics didn't help but that's not helping either!

What am I doing wrong? Everyone is laying and looks amazing otherwise. No one is hunched up, still no coughing or sneezing, colors are great, eating, drinking, pooping, laying..... what piece to this puzzle am I missing?

Thanks so much!

2. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Have you checked them for ear and facial mites.

The nasal drainage says no, but everyone acting fine but shaking their heads says check them.

3. PCPE1013

PCPE1013 In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2019
    I have never head of ear and facial mites. What exactly am I looking for? I did look their ears over but I was just looking for any pus etc from them. I was by no means looking for minuscule bugs! Will I be looking for dirt, the mites themselves, irritation? All of the above? Lol. I knew of mites but not ear mites! The thick mucus was definitely coming from her mouth if that means anything? Nothing at all from any of the others as far as any discharge from anywhere at all

WVduckchick likes this.
  4. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    I believe it’s related to the same type of mites that cause scaly leg.
    It’s actually called “scaly face mites”. And they are very itchy? Have they been scratching their faces with their feet?
    You can check their ears for “mite dirt” which is actually mite poop made up of digested chicken blood.
    Could you post some pictures of their faces nice and clear and close?

I could certainly be wrong. It’s just a thought.

WVduckchick and casportpony like this.
  5. PCPE1013

PCPE1013 In the Brooder

Feb 12, 2019
    Hmm.. interesting. Only the one girl with the mouth mucus was scratching her face with her feet but that stopped when the mucus stopped (thinking she was trying to wipe it off her face?) Their legs look amazing and healthy.. I will absolutely go out and take some pictures. I am prepping dinner for my kids and doing dish and laundry duties but as soon as I can suit up and get outside I will!! Thank you!

WVduckchick and staceyj like this.
  6. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    I’m going to call some others over here in the meantime. It could very well be the beginning of a virus.

WVduckchick and casportpony like this.
  7. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
  8. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    If it is something an antibiotic will help - and I don't if it is - you have to give the medicine time to work. Three or four days of antiobiotics, depending on the issue, and then symptoms would clear up within a few days after stopping the meds. They don't work immediately.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Do any of them have mucus now?

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Oh, they can get scaly face mites and face lice. The lice you can see if you look real close, but mites are too small. FWIW, never seen scaly face mites in mine, so probably not that common.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: