Thought Caroline Was Dead

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jul 20, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Was on phone with Cetawin when I glanced over into the back pen and saw a full blown hen fight in progress. Panda, my barred EE, and Caroline, my Buff Brahma, were up in the air going at each other, when suddenly, Caroline was down, just as her Lt. Brahma sister, Miranda, ran Panda off. Caroline was laying on her side with feet in the air, head away from me so I couldn't see if she was alive. She didn't move. I excused myself, put the phone in my pocket and ran to Caroline, whose head was thrown back, but her eyes were, thankfully, open. I picked her up and gently shook her, saw no wounds, and ran with her over to a deep plastic container we keep filled with water and stood her in it, thinking maybe she just got overheated in the death match. She stood there a couple minutes, seemed relatively alert, then stepped out of the water and walked underneath the coop. Never have I seen a hen go down that way. Possibly Caroline's age (she's going on 5), combined with the heat and humidity and adrenaline rush from the fight just knocked the wind out of her sails. Checked on her awhile later and she was still on her feet. Dang hens will be the death of me yet! [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Bless her heart, poor ole' girl is getting too old for these death matches. I guess Panda is wanting to step up in rank?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, with this heat, it's no wonder she didn't pass out, or faint! Poor old girl......

Glad she's OK!

4. LostGosling

LostGosling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    I'm glad she's okay [​IMG] The heat is really hard on old hens, especially when they square off like that. I have an old Black Star hen who just turned 6, has lung problems , and will still fight with the other (much, much younger) chickens! [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I swear the hen fights are worse than the rooster challenges! Crazy girls! Most of my roosters will walk between fighting girls to break them up. I love it when they do that.

Glad to hear your girl is okay.

6. speckledhen

Usually, Isaac jumps between fighting hens, but he is really super heat stressed himself and was underneath the coop, didn't come out. I thought I'd lose him yesterday, he was breathing so loudly and his wings were hanging halfway to the ground. Today, when the fighting broke out, Miranda trotted out there to stop them, but didn't arrive till Caroline was already down. It's rare that anyone messes with the Brahma sisters-they're pretty tough ladies. Guess the heat made Panda testy.

7. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    This blasted heat has me so worried!

I lost one of my girls to heat stroke last month and I've been upset and anxious ever since.

I'm so glad your girl recovered!

The only thing I've found that keeps them cool and hydrated is frozen watermelon - They go CRAZY for the stuff.

I've even found them snuggling up to it during breaks between eating it. lol

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Blueberries chilled from the fridge are a favorite too!
    Also a place with shallow cool water that they can cool their feet in. The condisation drain at the back of my home puts out clean cool water that the chickens have claimed as a daily must visit spot.

I noticed from the girls hopping up on my shoulders that their feet get super hot. It helps them out to cool off their footsies.
    Glad Caroline is OK. This summer is turning out rough for alot of folks this year.

9. speckledhen

I've put shallow pans out and no one steps into them, silly women. They have very deep dust holes underneath the coop so they lay under there much of the day, plus there is a bucket of water in the back yard filled with water and into that, we put a frozen 2 liter bottle like one huge ice cube every day. We do hose off the feet of overheated girls--when your feet are cool, so are you. Water from the deep well is icy cold.

Here are the combatants from today, first Caroline, then Panda:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Caroline is a pretty hen.
    Panda looks mischievious.

Yep how is that old saying you can lead a horse to water but can't make em drink. Guess you can provide all the ways to keep your chickens cool, but they may not want anything to do with it.

I can't wait for fall to get here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by