Thought I bought Cochins - Are they Brahmas, or what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by verycherry, Mar 16, 2009.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    The day I got these they were 2 days old. They were yellow with blueish undertones and had feathered legs, so the girl at Atwood's Farm and Ranch Supply store and I both thought they were probably blue or splash Cochins.

Well, now that they've grown a little and have their wing feathers, I'm thinking they aren't Cochins at all, and I'm wondering what heck they really are.

I looked up Light Brahmas but only found picks of tiny yellow chicks, no pics with the wing feathers. Anybody know what these are?

I got 6 females and 1 male. The male is the first picture I believe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

They look like light brahmas. Cochins have a lot more foot/leg feathering...

3. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    That's what I was wondering, BUT Light Brahmas don't have colored wings like this do they? ...or will this go away?

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

If they are PQ they probably do. [​IMG]

5. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    This is one of my light brahma chicks next to a silkie chick. Don't know if it helps.

[​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Cochins and Brahmas have different types of combs. You should be able to tell from that. If it's a straight comb it's a cochin.....pea comb= Brahma.

7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    My cochins always go through a period where they have almost no feathering on the legs, as the down falls out and the feathers just start growing in, and you cant see them well yet.

8. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    This is one of my light brahma chicks next to a silkie chick. Don't know if it helps.

Such a cute photo! Does the LB chick have wing feathers growing in yet? If so, do they look like my chicks do?

Well, I just remembered that some of my other chicks had different colored wing feathers as chicks as the do now, so they will probably change.

I sent a pic to Ideal, and they said they weren't sure, but they look like Columbian Wyandottes, lol!.....but those don't have feathered legs, so that can't be it. But if they think they have Columbian feathering, then they could be Light Brahmas. Those have the Columbian pattern.​

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    A group shot of some of my Light Brahma chicks and they are not hatchery or pet quality. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Oh, those are so pretty! I want some!

I see that they do have some coloring on their wings as chicks. My first one is colored more like yours are. My second one is really dark though, hmmm... [​IMG]

I actually started to only buy the lighter females, there are 4 light ones, but decided to go ahead and get them all, since I thought 6 females to 1 male was a better ratio. Oh well, they don't have to be show quality to look just beautiful in my green pasture! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by