1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thought I had it figured out...NOT!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NestingHillsSC, Mar 14, 2012.

1. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Got these 2 last night. I thought the hen was a brown danish leghorn. But she don't have white ears. And him just not sure. If you look at the pictures, He has some what of feathers on he's shanks. Actually they look like a bad shave. And her when I turned her over, she really hasn't any feathers underneath. Her comb looks like a leghorns. Floppy. Just not sure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
  3. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    I think they are Welsummers but i'm no expert

4. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    The pictures I've seen of the Roo's they have no feathers on there legs. He does. And the hens comb doesn't floop over like this one. [​IMG]

5. BuffMomma

BuffMomma Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Florida
    He very well could be I have a Marans his comb doesn't flop but he is only about a year old

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the roo looks like a black copper marans the hen could be a leghorn cross as she looks like she has a blueish tint to her earlobe

7. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    The Roos comb doesn't flop. Just the hens.[​IMG]

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    hatchery quality Black Copper Marans. Comb flop is unrelated to gender, and is only related to the appendage being too large to support itself. It IS related to genetics, and more pervasive in some breeds (such as Leghorns).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by