1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thought I was getting Americauna's misspelled as Americana.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by combatfuzzball, Mar 12, 2017.

1. combatfuzzball

combatfuzzball Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    Okay, realize that most feed stores sell Easter eggers and label them has Americana not Americauna. I'd also read in my research that some sellers actually do sell the real deal just don't realize the spelling is wrong.
    I have 8 chicks almost 2 weeks old. 3 of which are really starting to get wing and tail feathers started so I'm thinking they're all roosters.
    OF these 8, six have yellowish legs with a big hint of grey coloring. one has definitely lighter colored legs and does not have cheek tufts at all. One which is the smallest of the bunch has medium dark grey legs and cheek tufts. She's also a solid smoke grey color.
    [​IMG]
    What exactly is the coloring for Americauna Chicks so that I can be a bit more knowledgeable with future purchses?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've never heard of a feed store selling pure Ameraucana, unless they source older birds from a local breeder and re-sell them. But all their hatchery chicks are going to be EE.

A few hatcheries are selling pure Ameraucana, but the price difference is such that the feed stores aren't going to order them.

Just like any other breed, the color of the chick depends on the variety. You can go to the Ameraucana breeder's website, I think they have the different colors and what they look like as chicks and adults.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    IF they were selling actual Americaunas the price would be much higher than for Easter Eggers

4. combatfuzzball

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    Yeah I was dubious to begin with and at least 90% sure they weren't. However with a new baby I'm on a limited budget to finally get back to having chickens. Plus these seem to be really smart and agile. THey also calm down as soon as they're picked up. I won't be able to free range them due to high predator load. Had a fox in my backyard about 2 days ago.
    I'm not going to slight these babies just cause some moron is more interested in making a buck than helping preserve a truly remarkable breed.

5. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Easter Eggers, at lest the ones I have owned seem to be on the smarter side. I had one smart enough to realize that if it began peeping loudly, for no reason at all, then I would come and hold it.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not a thing wrong with EEs. Many of us prefer them to Ameraucana [​IMG]

7. combatfuzzball

Mar 11, 2017
    Maine
    I agree nothing wrong with EE's.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens