Thought I was gonna have a freezer full of deer meat...........

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by luvmychicknkids, Nov 28, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Saw a deer hit by a car this afternoon. Guy stopped, looked, and drove on. Well, I KNEW it was fresh enough and I hate to see anything go to waste. So, I call the sheriff and make sure it would be legal to take it. They actually seemed pretty happy I wanted to....I guess they would rather not have them just rot, too. I was all excited thinking here is a bunch of free meat. Was planning to call my father and make him talk me through processing it. I have helped with them many years ago but never done one myself. Anyway, I crawl down into the ditch and there is a HUGE hole through his side. I gently pressed and you could actually smell bowel contents. [​IMG] Needless to say, we went on and left him. *sigh* I guess the vultures, coyotes, etc. will be happy.

So, just have to ask, am I the only one who would be willing to stop and get what is essentially roadkill? I know when we lived in Alaska, if a moose was hit, it was taken by......oh I don't know, game and fish maybe, and the meat went to needy families.

2. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    I had a buddy that hit a deer with his truck while he was deer huntin and put his tag on it. heee

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:my grandpa will in a heartbeat, i remember him getting a rabbit off the road one time which was probably a day old i would say.. i never ate it but he said it was good.. also remember us driving back from fishing one day. he slams on breaks and reaches under his trucks seat.. pulls out his 22 mag and jumps out of the truck like a mad-man, my cousin and i sitting in the passenger seat looked at each other and ask "Grandpa!, what are you doing?" he replies with a simple "Rabbit hunting" Shoots him, there was supper that night.. got millions of other fun, highly illegal and crazy stories but thats all i'll say [​IMG]

4. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Yes I out west its pretty common when you hit a deer/moose it becomes meat for the table......I am not ure about here in Ontario....I know my father in law in Quebec when he was alive would wear his " roadkill" beaver hat....It was pretty cool ....had the flaps for ears ....and warm......I wore it once.....

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my mom hit a deer on the way to my cousins Christmas night when I was a kid. It was only about 1/2 mile down the road so we had to back all the way to the house, the car was badly damaged and my grandfather went down and got the deer. We processed it and each package said $1800 deer for the amount of damage done to the car.

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Glad to know others would do the same. [​IMG] I just can't stand the thought of wasting and since the kids and I pretty much refuse to eat store meat anymore this would have been perfect!!!

Oh, DTchickens, I have looked quite longingly at a few roadkill squirrels (I LOVE squirrel) but wouldn't get one if I didn't actually see it hit. [​IMG]

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    If I saw it hit or hit it myself, I'd pick it up. Other than that, nope.

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I would and I have.

Sad to say though, I did not salvage the two deer I have hit in my lifetime. Too late at night, weather too warm, and I just did not have enough energy to do so. The last one probably was not really salvageable. I was going 50 to 55 and hit her square.

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Wow....I kinda thought hitting a deer was like a lightning strike, probably not going to happen to the same person twice.

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Wow....I kinda thought hitting a deer was like a lightning strike, probably not going to happen to the same person twice.

deers being hit will probably happen more often, now that all the woods are being cleared away and houses are going up.. they'll start moving into the towns/roads etc. not too long ago there was a bear in my town which hasn't been seen in i dont know how long..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by