Thought it was a pullet...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sphinx, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I thought this chick was a pullet, but now I'm not so sure. I have some GLW chicks and I attempted to do the feather sexing with them. One of the chicks that I initially thought girl, I'm having second thoughts on. But, it's definitely developed less than some of the boys. I'd love your opinion.

All of the chicks are just over a month old now.

Here's the chick in question.
    [​IMG]

I can see the slightest tinge of pink to the waddles.
    [​IMG]

However, here's one of the definite cockerels, and there's WAY more red in this chick. They were hatched the same day, and are supposedly the same breed, but I have my suspicions the hens were stepping out on the rooster. The waddles are also significantly bigger on this guy. I have a total of three confirmed cockerels, and they're all as obviously boy as this one.
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry these are blurry, the chicks were so excited to get out and about, they didn't want to sit still. At least the color of the comb and waddle really comes through, right?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would guess its a pullet. how old are they

3. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    They're just over a month old- seems like they hatched on 1/7-1/8, and it's now 2/9. So that's what, 4.5 weeks or so?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like pullet yes

5. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Any other guesses?

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I'm going to go with boy. They both look like mixes (where did you get them?) - the second one may be mixed with mille fleur but don't quote me on that - the first has black skin on its comb (???) and I'm guessing that's masking the real red there. My wyandotte hen didn't develop a raised comb until she was over 20 weeks old. She was a weirdo, but I'm guessing it definitely shouldn't be as raised as your chick#1 is.

7. Sphinx

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    The back third of the comb is yellow, no sign at all of red. The only place I see any pink at all is those waddles.

And yeah, that has me concerned.

I bought the chicks as hatching eggs, and it wasn't until mine hatched that the seller realized that all wasn't right in the pen. They're making it up to me, but in the meantime, I am a little disappointed that my obvious girl in no way resembles a GLW.

I compared "Daisy" to the three cockerels, and the comb is definitely flatter than the others. I haven't raised chicks in a couple years, so I don't remember what normal is. It does seem like my SLW's comb WAS nonexistent til 20 weeks, so you may be on to something. -sigh-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by