Thought it was egg laying behavior, now I think she is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tinkymoe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    I am a newbie with silkies at laying age although none have laid yet (26-28 wks). I have one hen who acted bizarre last week and now is very quiet, not eating or drinking much but does eat and drink a little. She is very quiet now and more docile than usual. I visually inspect her daily and do not see anything abnormal with her vent, nostrils, eyes, beak or ears. I gently palpate her abdomen and chest when I hold her and nothing unusual. She does not pant, seem distressed or anything, just tired.

She mostly sits and is all fluffed up and stays near the water and food. She seems to want to eat sand more than anything but will eat the scratch I throw down. I do not see any evidence of mites or lice and the other hens are all acting normally. It seems as though she has lost weight in the last week and her stools are definitely smaller -- but she is eating less. They also seem pale.

Any ideas? I was planning on giving vitamins and dewormer -- they have never been wormed. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. sven

sven Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Maybe worms? Probably worms.... I do know worms effect the appetite.

I have a young silkie pullet too...I probably need to give her dewormer before spring. [​IMG]

Hope you find out why the unusual behavior.

3. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Thanks! Me too.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by