Thought it was sour crop but does not smell and hasn't got better?

VerityK

Hatching
May 19, 2020
England, UK
Hi,

I treated one of my chickens for sour crop two weeks ago as she was vomiting and had a large balloon like crop, (yogurt/garlic water/scrambled egg) her crop was emptying in the morning and was acting normal but it still hasn't seemed to work she has a flat crop in the morning but she only had to eat the smallest amount of pellets and it balloons again. She has never smelt sour in these two weeks and acts very hungry but normal. I have also noticed twice she has vomited in the coop at night?

She seems to be poo-ing semi-normally with the occasional dark runny one.

Is it an infection?

Could there be something blocking? but her food does go through and get digested sometimes?

It appears you have lots of questions about crop issues. This might bring you up to speed, and then we can talk about your individual hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sour crop doesn't always have a distinct odor, especially in the early stages. Garlic may help prevent it, but it isn't going to cure it. You would need an anti yeast med for that.

You've been checking her crop in the morning, and if it's empty as you say, the problem may not be sour crop. It's easy and safe to treat for sour crop, though, to rule it out. You would need miconazole, a women's vaginal yeast cream.

It appears you have lots of questions about crop issues. This might bring you up to speed, and then we can talk about your individual hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sour crop doesn't always have a distinct odor, especially in the early stages. Garlic may help prevent it, but it isn't going to cure it. You would need an anti yeast med for that.

You've been checking her crop in the morning, and if it's empty as you say, the problem may not be sour crop. It's easy and safe to treat for sour crop, though, to rule it out. You would need miconazole, a women's vaginal yeast cream.

Hi!

Thank you for replying! She has had a full crop two mornings in a row so I feel I need to act fast otherwise it might be fatal. I will purchase some vaginal yeast cream does it have to be internal use only or does the external cream work as well?

I have run out of treatments I have put spices, fennel tea and oregano oil down her pour throat so medicine was my next step!

In your link you mention half an inch of cream, is that when it is in a syringe? Do you know how many ml that would be?

Thank you, so much!
Verity

Are you in Europe or the US? The vaginal cream in the US is miconazole or Monistat if we want the brand name instead of the generic. I buy the tube of the cream and squeeze out half an inch.

If you're in Europe, such creams can have toxic substances that should not be taken orally. Putting your location in your profile makes it so much easier for us to have the correct information to help you.

Are you in Europe or the US? The vaginal cream in the US is miconazole or Monistat if we want the brand name instead of the generic. I buy the tube of the cream and squeeze out half an inch.

If you're in Europe, such creams can have toxic substances that should not be taken orally. Putting your location in your profile makes it so much easier for us to have the correct information to help you.

I am from England, UK. When I googled Monistat/Miconazole a product called Daktarin 2% Cream came up:

Daktarin cream contains a medicine called miconazole. This belongs to a group of medicines called 'antifungals'. Daktarin cream is used for infections of the skin or nails caused by fungi including yeasts, and some bacteria.

Do you think that could work?

That's what I was afraid of. That product is used for skin fungus and contains ethylene glycol which is very toxic and should not be taken internally. It would be very bad for a chicken.

If you can't find over the counter vaginal yeast cream without ethelyene glycol, you will need to find a way to get an oral anti-fungal. You will probably need the help of a vet to get Nystatin, a good oral antifungal. If you have any pet stores or can find a pigeon supply shop, there's a Nystatin for pigeons called Medistatin you may buy without a prescription.

That's what I was afraid of. That product is used for skin fungus and contains ethylene glycol which is very toxic and should not be taken internally. It would be very bad for a chicken.

If you can't find over the counter vaginal yeast cream without ethelyene glycol, you will need to find a way to get an oral anti-fungal. You will probably need the help of a vet to get Nystatin, a good oral antifungal. If you have any pet stores or can find a pigeon supply shop, there's a Nystatin for pigeons called Medistatin you may buy without a prescription.

Thank god you are so knowledgeable!
You are a life saver right now!

Would canesten cream work? It is a vaginal thrush cream here in the UK?

What Canesten® Cream contains: The active substance is clotrimazole at a strength of 1% w/w. The other ingredients are benzyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, sorbitan stearate, cetyl palmitate, cetostearyl alcohol, octyldodecanol and purified water.

The benzyl alcohol is a toxin and can cause internal inflammation.

Best y0u look for a pigeon supply store or search for Medistatin on the internet. I ordered it from a company in Australia.

The benzyl alcohol is a toxin and can cause internal inflammation.

Best y0u look for a pigeon supply store or search for Medistatin on the internet. I ordered it from a company in Australia.

Hi!

I managed to find nystatin (Nystatin Albrecht) online and will be delivered at the weekend! It looks like it was intended for animals so I don't have to worry about bad extra ingredients. Thank you so much for your help - I will keep feeding her yogurt and scrambled egg and garlic water for now, and surprisingly she laid an egg today! Her name is Feisty Frida because she was feisty from the second we got her so I am not surprised she is not letting an illness stop her from going about her business! I hope she can hang on till the nystatin comes she is a gorgeous hen! I only have three and I am very attached to all of them! As you probably know their personalities make it hard not to love them!

I will keep you updated! Thank you again - you have been such a help!

Verity xxx

I'm in the middle of treating a slow/sour crop as well. I spoke with my vet yesterday and she suggested inserting a tube into the crop and using a syringe to draw out all the nasty stuff. Then suggested I inject and draw out some clean water mixed with probiotics.

It was much easier than I anticipated to tube her. It was easy to visualize the trachea vs the esophagus. There are lots of videos on YouTube. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EF74542213D80771E352EF74542213D8&&FORM=VDRVRV

So last night around 7pm I used the tube/syringe to empty and rinse her crop. I put her out with her friends, they were free ranging with access to layer crumb and water. I added probiotics to their water. I checked her crop before bed and she had eaten a bit and had a drink.
In the morning her crop wasn't totally empty, but she did go poo, and the smell from her crop wasn't as strong. I'll keep massaging through the day.

The vet is going to call me back tomorrow. If the crop is still slow and smelly I'll ask for Nystatin.

Like you, I still need to figure out what caused the slow/sour crop. I'll be worming the whole flock just in case. Otherwise I'll be crossing my fingers that perhaps she go into something bad that through the good-bad bacteria balance in her crop out of whack. The alternative is some sort of reproductive issue, cancer, liver disease, etc.

Back
Top Bottom