Thought my Rooster had Died *pics added pg. 2*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Got home later than usual last night and went to count chickens and Rusty the rooster was missing! It was pitch black outside but we went out with flashlights and combed the whole area for him. Didn't see any feathers, so that was good, but where oh where could he be? Did someone steal him? I saw the postman eye balling him the other day. [​IMG] Did he go off and fight for the girls, did an owl get him, oh gosh, was he stuck in the fencing somewhere? I went to bed with worry and woke at 2am thinking, well, maybe he will crow when it gets light out, he has been crowing a LOT lately. He is 26 weeks old and just now understanding and, ahem, "performing" as a man Rooster. [​IMG]

Well, Glory be, at first light I heard it, Rusty crowed. [​IMG] I leapt out of bed and rushed outside to the chicken yard. Nothing... c'mon do it again, rooster. So, I did what any chicken mom would do: I crowed. [​IMG] He did answer back and I finally found him: in a tree on the OTHER side of my fence.

I decided I'd better get dressed if I was going to go tromping around in the muddy rain in my neighbor's yard. By the time I ran back, Rusty had jumped out of the tree and was pacing the fence line. At first, we tried giving him some bread but all he would do is call his girls. We let his girls out on my side of the fence hoping that he would fly back over. We did make one lunge for him and he growled and I'm pretty sure he said some things that a lady doesn't repeat on a public forum. [​IMG]

The neighbor came out with a big fish net and a club... wait a minute, was he actually going to club my baby boy? Yikes! Nope, it was a big scooper with grain in it. Well, I was going to grab the net and run around trying to nail him but my neighbor had obviously done this before and was way ahead of my non nimble morning brain. He set the thing on the ground and put the grain in the middle. Rusty stepped in slowly of course, not wanting to make this easy.

Then the neighbor scooped him up and netted the big rooster and handed him over the fence. Rusty was struggling in that big net and when he was laid down, he just went out cold. I mean, eyes closed, not moving, just laying there. Oh my Gosh, did he just kill my rooster? [​IMG] There was 'dead' silence for a few seconds as we three adults looked down on the "dead" rooster. Well, nothing to do but get him untangled from the net.

With heavy heart his limp rag doll body was lifted up and out of the net when he suddenly "came to". Rusty the Rooster had fainted!! [​IMG] He got up, shook himself off and went over toward his girls. [​IMG]

Now I know that if a rooster is upside down (though technically he wasn't) that they get quieted down and still. This boy was out cold. Sorry this is so long, but I had to share this with you...

Edited to add pics of Rusty.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

First, I'm so glad you got Rusty back and he's okay. Kudos to your neighbor, too.

Second, I just might faint if Big People snatched ME up in a net and handed me over a huge, tall fence!

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I am sorry. I know that was scary and you were really relieved to have found Rusty.

But it made me laugh. The big boy fainted!

4. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    It was horrifying but now it is indeed funny. I was laughing as I was telling you the story. And this, all before a cup of coffee... lol.

5. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Thanks for the great story! Sorry for your moment of terror. Funny how they do that to us.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I just hope this fainting thing doesn't lower Rusty's status in the eyes of the hens. [​IMG] I can see them say "Some he-man he is, faints at the sight of a little net. And, where were you last night? Not chasing around with some svelte Buff Orphington by an chance?"

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Oh, funny you should say that. The neighbor has chickens who are very seldom by the fence but we think maybe they were and maybe Rusty was lusting after them in a fashion!! Not sure, but that is one explanation why he would scale a fence with barbed wire on top. lol

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I feel the poor guy, it took poor Blue forever to regain his standing with everyone but then he fainted in front of the whole group!
    I got a good giggle out of that!

9. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay. This story was just great!! Loved it! This is my first year with chickens, and have yet to see a chicken be hypnotized or faint. I am a fisher"woman", and I like to read fishing magazines. Your story reminded me of a fishing magazine I used to read as a kid. At the very back of the magazine, on the last page or two, they would have a hilarious fishing story someone wrote in with to share with the other fisherman/women. We should have a chicken magazine where we have information on how to care for your chickens, ads for places to buy supplies and stuff, and personal chicken stories like yours. I for one would subscribe. Again... I LOVE your story. It cracked me up. I had to read it to my mom, who laughed as well. Thanks for sharing.

10. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hilarious! I've heard of fainting goats, but a fainting rooster? [​IMG] And yeah, if I were a hen I'd make fun of him... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by