thought peep had died, opened it up and heard Peep Peep

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlisa, Sep 13, 2008.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I had eggs that my broody hen had left in the nest...and they got cold, so I brought them in and put them in my bator over a week ago. I've got pics of the little NNs who hatched out of those eggs in the BTS chicks threads...anyways, 2 eggs were left and I saw movement in 1 of them and no movement in the other. So after 2 more days of seeing no pips, but the same movement and pipping into the inner airsac for the 1, I though maybe they'd (or at least the 1) hatch overnight. Nothing the next morning (yesterday) so i candled 1 more time and didn't see any movement anymore. So I pipped a hole in the top of the "live?" one and ended up finding the chick had died. Not sure why. The other one (remember-I hadn't seen any movement in that one for eh last 3 days or so) I pipped into also, and hear Peep Peep! It was bloody though, so I didn't want to do anything else. I wrapped in a warm wet papertowel so the membrane wouldn't dry out. The baby kept peeping, but wasn't moving. I ended up checking to see if it was too big and I guess it was, b/c it had to be helped out all the way. I did it over alot of hours though so any blood vessels would have a chance to close up slowly and not bleed out killing that chick.
    SO, my question is this...why is its little butt featherless, almost transparent, grayish in color and bulgy looking? . Its a little Buff/red NN chick, and is walking around ok in the incubator. I'm wondering about when to put it in the brooder box- b/c those other chicks are almost a week old and they are the young one- I've got a few 2 week olds in there. SO I think this one would get hurt, maybe its little bulging butt pecked....What to do? I don't know now if I did it any favors helping it hatch. Any advice? I can try to take a pic if that would help.
    Thanks

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'd keep it in the incubator half a day or a day while it builds strength and coordination. I think you did a good thing helping it hatch. I don't know that it having been too big for shell would cause long-term problems. Over next few days you'll get an idea about how feathering may develop.
    Hopefully people will chip in some of their experience with integrating younger chicks, too.

3. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Depending on how your brooder is made you might be able to put a smaller compartment higher up for the new chick. I know that sounds odd and it is hard to explain. I use a clear large plastic storage box as a brooder for the first couple of weeks. The small clear plastic shoe box size tote fits perfectly across the short side of the bigger box and only covers about 1/4 of the top of the box. That way the newer chick has more heat but can still see the other chicks down below it. The bigger chicks also get to check out the new chick without hurting it. I have later on been able to just add all the chicks together without a lot of fuss. (Wish I had remembered to take a picture of that set up that way.)

As for his medical problem, a picture might help others with suggestions on what to do.

4. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    here is ET
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    anyone know what that grayish bulge is on its hindquarters?

5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    morning upadte- ET didn't make it thru the night. He(?) just fell asleep I think and didn't wake up. He looked fine, was still warm and soft, but no longer alive awhile ago. Rest well ET. Possibly had something not quite right, that's why he didn't pip and zip on his own?

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awwww, so sorry [​IMG]

that thing on his butt didnt look normal ( i have no clue what it is ) but that could had something to do with it.

Somtimes things just are not meant to be, Good luck with the other chicks and dont be to upset over ET he is in a good place now resting nice with other chicks just like him (chick heaven)

7. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks. I know he's ok- but I do hate losing them too. That bulge was weird tho- he only poo'd a few times and it was grayish/brown runny....totally liquid. (of course he hadn't eaten hardly anything at all yet either.) So maybe in time that would have gone away if he had lived- maybe it was just a bunch of liquidy poo that had to get out...we'll never know now.
    Thanks again
    Lisa

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] I really hate that he didn't live. So sorry. :aww

9. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    I received chick from MMHatchery with the same thing on its butt area. Mine is now 5 1/2 weeks old and still has the weird growth thing but she is perfectly fine. The growth seems to grow with her but causes no harm as of yet.

10. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    hmmm wonder what it is/was????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by