1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thought she was a Leghorn

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleWingRC, Feb 24, 2016.

1. LittleWingRC

LittleWingRC Out Of The Brooder

A friend in the UK just got 3 hens, 2 RRs and what she thought was a White Orp... But she played a white egg. This hen is gorgeous, built very much like an Orp, but has grey shanks and as stated already lays white eggs. I cannot see in the pic she posted on FB what kind of comb she has though. Tia for the help :)

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Do you have some pictures that i might be able to help you?

3. LittleWingRC

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. LittleWingRC

The above is a good pic of her comb and this pic you can see her robust build and grey shanks[​IMG]

5. LittleWingRC

She just posted this good pic
    [​IMG]

6. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    She definitely isn't a leghorn. She might be an orpington cross of some sort. Maybe someone else has an opinion on her breed.

7. LittleWingRC

Thank you. I sure hope someone knows. I'm starting to think she just might be a barnyard mix.

8. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I asked here for suggestions about my 4 rare breed hens and ended up figuring out two of the breeds myself. The two are still a mystery and it bothers me (lol)

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There are different hybrids in the UK that we don't have here in the States, she may well be some mix that's more common there. I agree she's quite a large girl for a white egger. Are the eggs white-white, like store bought eggs, or a creamy tan color?

1 person likes this.
  10. LittleWingRC

White white, like a WLH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by