thought she was egg bound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aabbott, May 19, 2011.

1. aabbott

aabbott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    or blocked crop, but I feel no egg, and she continues to go to the bathroom- her crop seems fine- but when we were checking for blocked vent, I noticed her vent was quite swollen.... what can we do? She was given a rinse this afternoon to clean her off, and there seems to be no blockage in vent..... can we use antibiotic ointment? or how do we go about getting something to help her- her appitite seems fine although we have given her beginner food, starter mix in her water, and today she enjoyed yogurt.... but her swollen rump/vent concerns me- What do we do?[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. aabbott

Apr 30, 2011
    she had not laid an egg in 2 days. She doesnt seem uncomfortable except that her tail it down. We are feeding her yougurt and giving her water with chick fix in it- will try the warm towels- and the warm soapy bath. Thank you for the information and responding. Will keep everyone posted- One note- she has become our broody hen, but it says that hens who become egg bound are obese- mine is not. She is a big bird but I wouldnt consider her obese- she is the same size as the other hens her age. Thanks again-Adrienne

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    If she is broody she will not lay an egg.

5. aabbott

Apr 30, 2011
    thanks- soo0... we will continue to give her a sits-bath- and hope to get the swelling down. thanks for the info

6. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    If you think you feel an egg, try getting some KY Jelly "up there".

7. aabbott

Apr 30, 2011
    I am sure there is no egg-and we did lubricate with petrollium jelly-- and felt nothing- she is enjoying the yogurt and I am giving her another sits bath soon- I am sure she will be very tired of me- I am just concerned of the swelling- but it does look better. she looks like there is a small ball under the skin by her vent- I hope she will be fine soon- thank you

8. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
  9. aabbott

Apr 30, 2011
    thank you for posting that- have given her sits bath with warm soapy water as suggested. she gobbled down scratch feed and I gave her the kitchen to wander around- she was panting a bit today- but it was warm here- 70 and the sun coming in the window where she was- how do I go about finding a chicken vet that doesnt cost all outdoors??...just checked on her- and she has laid an egg!!!!! lets hope she will now be a chicken and not a penguin....the egg is nice and clean- YAHOOOO!!!! Thanks all- now back to the chicken vet question... just in case-

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:Yep, mine laid at the vet's office! And my AVIAN vet did not recommend surgery. There's really nothing to do about it if it is a hernia. She can be fine for years with this. My thoughts are with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by