thought they were just sexlink hens, now I donno...

jwells84

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
I have two red hens. they look a lot like the "star" breed one I've found,but also looked like the red sexlink pictures I've found on here to. is it the same breed? i'm confused. they are sweet chickens very friendly handle our 100+ degree days well. they stay caged at at night an in adverse weather. and I just got an egg. from one today! it was nearly as big as the large size eggs I buy from the store. if I can figure out how to post a picture i'll get one posted that would probly make it easier.
thanks!

Those are all just made up names for marketing sales, that's all. A red sex link uses a gold/red rooster over a silver/white hen. The males are hatched white and the females hatch out golden buff. Easy to sex. Since there are literally countless numbers of these various mixes/hybrids all using parent stock known only to the hatcheries, this is impossible to say what the small differences there are in the various names they go by.

They aren't breeds, of course. They are a terminal cross/hybrid. You can breed them, but they won't reproduce with that nifty sex link feature.

In most cases, red sex links are intended to mature early and lay heavy. Enjoy.

Last edited:
and .....
welcome-byc.gif

Red Stars are the name some hatcheries give their particular red sex link. McMurray for one. Most big hatcheries have their own names they've made up for the sex links they sell. Congratulations on your first egg! Red Stars are fabulous brown egg layers, you will be very happy with them.

Hi jwells84! Welcome to BYC! We're so happy that you've joined us - it's an awesome place to be!
smile.png

Red "Stars" and Red Sex-Links are generally pretty much the same thing - some hatcheries call their red sex-links different names - red star, gold star, golden comet, red sex-link, etc. Red Stars and Red Sex-Links are not a breed per se, but a hybrid - they are a cross between two different breeds that produce a excellent brown egg-layer chicken that can be sexed by color at birth - all the girls will be red/gold, and the boys are lighter - usually cream/yellow. Different hatcheries/different varieties of the "red sex-link" sometimes use different breeds in this cross, which I think is one reason there are different names. (Other more experienced BYC'ers, correct me if I've got something wrong!
smile.png
)

I had Golden Comets and they were great! You'll enjoy them!
smile.png

Thanks for all the help! I didn't realize how interesting they would be when I bought them.lol. I just wanted rid of grasshoppers in my garden. but I've really grown attached to them. and they are so fun to watch and be around, soo friendly!

Back
Top Bottom