thought they were roos. what do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OrpingtonManor, Jul 25, 2010.

1. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I have 3 true Black Ameraucanas from John Blehm. They are currently 13 weeks old.

I had a 4th, who was obviously a roo early on, and I sold him at chickenstock. I bought another, who looked like a pullet at the time. Now, I'm inclined to think the remaining 3 are all roos, too. All of them are huge! All of them have red combs with 3 distinct rows. All have the same saddle and hackle feathers. Could I be that unlucky?

Suspect #1 - Bigger than the other two. Nearly as big as my Buff Orps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suspect #2 - bought at chickenstock as a pullet, who had no tail at the time and was not huge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suspect #3 - always had a huge attitude, crowed (I think, at any rate, made a godawful noise) when I brought home the new Barnevelders. never had a tail, but seems to have a nice set of saddle feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eta - I should add, all 3 are at least a third bigger than the Barnevelders, who were hatched the same day. The Barnevelders are supposed to be a bigger breed than Ameraucanas. I'm not sure if my Ameraucanas are larger because they are breeder stock, and the Barnevelders are hatchery stock. What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    They look like roos to me.

3. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I agree... roos

4. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    that's what I was afraid of.

5. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    Sorry.

It seems to be the year too many roos. I hatched 5 eggs that were sent.. 4 roos. Sold some eggs to someone. 3 of 4 ...roos!!
    Hope you have atleast one or two girls!!

6. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:I didn't get any girls from the Ameraucanas. [​IMG] that's why I went and bought the Barnevelder started pullets.

7. Backyard Farm

Apr 1, 2009
    OH!! so sorry to hear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by