Thought this was a cuckoo maran....Anyone know what it really is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by srsmith69, May 25, 2010.

1. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    This gorgeous hunk of male chicken flesh was hatched on Halloween from a barnyard mix of eggs. The lady I got the eggs from supposedly had Cuckoo Marans, Ameracuanas, Jersey giants, Cochins and I don't know what else. She runs a small hatchery, but in October had let all of her chickens out of the breeding pens to run together since she was done hatching for the year. A complete list of birds that she has is located at funnyfarmhatchery.org.

He's not full blood Cuckoo or may not be at all. He's got feathered yellow legs. The pictures tell the rest of the story. What do you think he is?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Marans X Cochin? The barring could be from the Marans sire, though it looks a little to "clean" to be Marans barring, which is typically referred to as Cuckoo. The feathered legs are a dead give away that one of the parents had to be a Cochin.

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Did she have Barred Cochins? The barring does not look like Cuckoo, it looks to clean. Maybe Cochin/Barred Rock?

4. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    He's gorgeous, although I'm no help with the breed, other than I agree the barring looks too defined. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, he's beautiful! If I didn't love my EE roo so much, I'd want a rooster as gorgeous as yours. (Apologies to my own roo, Carl, who is handsome in his own way.)

6. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    As far as I know, she didn't have any Barred Rocks. She only had white and blue cochins. No barred Cochins.

7. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    He's a mix of more than two breeds. Her only red is plymouth rock, her only vaguely barred is cuckoo marans, her only feather legged is salmon faverolles and cochins. I'm leaning alot toward cochin. My guess is that at LEAST one of her breeders is a mutt unless she has some pet mutts running with the rest during non-breeding season (I do this as some of my mutts are great layers). He is really pretty and would make a decent project roo depending on size, temperament, etc. Closest I've seen to crele without being crele. (I really want a crele polish roo like the one I've seen on this website!!!). You could have alot of fun with him- I would.

Oh, and I'd bet money he's barred rock and not cuckoo marans or a mix of cuckoo and barred rock. His barring is not cuckoo at all- too symmetrical.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. elem

elem Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    Vancouver
    I don't see any Marans on her page but does she have a line with feathered legs? I believe European standards for Marans include feathered legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by