Thought this was cocci, but...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Dec 21, 2014.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We have a year and half old Black Jersey Giant hen, who, for the past couple of weeks, has had mysterious symptoms. She started out just a little lethargic but nothing else obvious. When I noticed that she had some diarrhea (mostly clear) I put her in hospital and started her on Sulfadimethoxine. I had also noticed two spots of blood, about an inch in diameter, on the barn floor, a couple of days before I noticed that she had diarhea. I don't know if the blood was from her or what, but the rest of the flock seems fine. She improved immediately on the sulfa, was brighter, eating well, wanting out. She had diarrhea the first two days on the Sulfa, then her droppings were dead normal on the third day. diarrhea on the fourth day, and soft light brown on the fifth, with poo seeming to be sort of stuck in her vent, but I thought this might be because of stress from being confined or because she has had a little richer diet than normal, I've been giving her a little yogurt or applesauce, scrambled eggs or tomato, every day. It was after the tomato one day that I noticed her diarrhea returned so I cut that out, thought it might have caused it, being too acidic. This morning, day six, she appeared ok while in the pen, so I let her out( She's been much more energetic since she started the sulfa, and begging to get out.) However, today after I let her out, I Immediately I noticed she was still very slow, hiding from the flock, and so weak that when she tried to jump on to a low perch, she fell off. She then went and laid down. So I caught her and put her back in the pen. Where she is wandering about, scratching, "talking" to me when I go up to talk to her. Her tail is down, also. She seems to have been gaining weight while in hospital, her weight is excellent. Almost too excellent. Could she have had cocci and be harboring some sort of infection as a result? I am getting a fecal done tomorrow, or will try to get them to do it tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas? I can't give her any more sulfa, as it's been five days she's been on it, but we thought we'd start her on Amprol just in case cocci still linger....The only other symptom she has is that her comb is pale, but it is winter, after all,so she may have stopped laying. She was laying prior to her confinement, and the last egg she laid is normal,.Her feathers are shiny and I can find no sign of external parasites.

2. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    She's actually not that old, just a pullet. Hatched last spring. New symptom is she's shaking her head now.

Hello, anyone?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Has she been wormed five days orally with Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound, or once with Valbazen at 0.08ml per pound? If not, you might want to, then you can rule out worms.

Be sure to get fresh sample of both her cecal and regular poop, and mix them well. Poop must be fresh.

-Kathy

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    No, she hasn't been dewormed with Safeguard. We can't use Safeguard and Sulfa at the same time. And she just finished the Sulfa. But we have been on a regular deworming schedule with Levamisole all year. I don't think she has worms. Her weight's excellent, droppings look mostly normal. I did wonder that, if the droppings have to be fresh for a fecal check. So a day is too old?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, a day is too old.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you worm orally or in the water? You know me, lol, I don't consider them wormed unless they have had the proper amount orally. [​IMG] The most effective Safeguard dose is 0.23 ml per pound for *five* days, that is what needs to be used to kill capillary worms. Valbazen is only 0.08ml for one day, repeat in 10.

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Also important to have *both* types of poop, cecal and regular.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just curious, where did you read that one couldn't give Safeguard with sulfas?

-Kathy

9. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    There's no way I can deworm 52 free range birds orally with safeguard paste, sorry. We were following the advice of a poultry expert and a veterinarian in using the Levamisole. It seems to have worked pretty well for most, if not all of them.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by