1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Thought we'd lost the whole Scovie clutch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, May 6, 2009.

1. Beth started sitting only 1 day after Charlotte and Arwen joined Beth on the nest about 2 days later. Charlottes clutch hatched out last Thur & Fri so we were expecting Beths/Arwens to hatch out by Sunday. Mon then Tues rolled around and we began thinking that something had gone wrong. [​IMG] I saw one of our chooks run out of the coop w/half Scovie egg shell Tues eve so went to check and found the two Scovie girls were tossing "empty" egg shells out of the nest to make room for "Ducklings"! [​IMG]
    This a.m. Arwen got out w/a few babies cuddled under her to make room for, I assume, some more eggs to hatch. There are a passel of little ones in there. I have no clue at this time to how many ducklings we're going to end up w/fm that clutch. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This along w/Charlotte's 18. Think I may need to sell a few. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOLOL

The chickens were just helping clean [​IMG]

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Songster

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    That's great!
    We have 3 hens setting now, I have no idea what we will do when the babies get here, they will be a few weeks apart! We have some due the 12th, and then some due in 4 weeks! Some sat, then got off and scattered eggs, stole eggs and shuffled eggs, so now I have no idea what eggs will hatch!Silly ducks!
    I have to separate the males from the babies, and the 2 males from each other! Without building any new pens! I'm at a loss!Congrats on your hatch!

4. The chickens were just helping clean

I was going to throw the shells out but even the drake wanted to nibble on them so I let them. Free calcium supplement. [​IMG]

AhBee, could you just divide up their pen w/temp. fencing? I use pocket net fencing w/light weight posts and garden staples to keep the bottom tacked down. Good luck on your hatch!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by