Thought we'd lost the whole Scovie clutch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, May 6, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Beth started sitting only 1 day after Charlotte and Arwen joined Beth on the nest about 2 days later. Charlottes clutch hatched out last Thur & Fri so we were expecting Beths/Arwens to hatch out by Sunday. Mon then Tues rolled around and we began thinking that something had gone wrong. [​IMG] I saw one of our chooks run out of the coop w/half Scovie egg shell Tues eve so went to check and found the two Scovie girls were tossing "empty" egg shells out of the nest to make room for "Ducklings"! [​IMG]
    This a.m. Arwen got out w/a few babies cuddled under her to make room for, I assume, some more eggs to hatch. There are a passel of little ones in there. I have no clue at this time to how many ducklings we're going to end up w/fm that clutch. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This along w/Charlotte's 18. Think I may need to sell a few. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOLOL

The chickens were just helping clean [​IMG]

3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    That's great!
    We have 3 hens setting now, I have no idea what we will do when the babies get here, they will be a few weeks apart! We have some due the 12th, and then some due in 4 weeks! Some sat, then got off and scattered eggs, stole eggs and shuffled eggs, so now I have no idea what eggs will hatch!Silly ducks!
    I have to separate the males from the babies, and the 2 males from each other! Without building any new pens! I'm at a loss!Congrats on your hatch!

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

The chickens were just helping clean

I was going to throw the shells out but even the drake wanted to nibble on them so I let them. Free calcium supplement. [​IMG]

AhBee, could you just divide up their pen w/temp. fencing? I use pocket net fencing w/light weight posts and garden staples to keep the bottom tacked down. Good luck on your hatch!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by