thoughts? just under 12 weeks

BuckleberryFern

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
Blairstown NJ
got this batch as "rhodebarrs" from an ebay auction.

at hatchout I had 3 chipmonk striped pullets
and 3 red with white head spot cockerelles....
rhodebarrs being autosexing by color...

now at almost 12 weeks im doubting lol.

my 3 chipmonk striped seem to be sticking to their female gender identity...
and 1 of my boys seems to have decided to be a boy...

but the other 2 boys seem to be confused or undecided...and possibly not rhodebars.

my rhodebar girls look like they are supposed to...my rhodebarr defiant roo looks like hes supposed to...but the 2 confused don't look like rhodebars anymore lol.

theres "pecky" a dark mahogany with black and white spots that looks more like a speckled Sussex mix...
and "red" whos a bright red who looks like a barred orphington...

this is "big boy" the one im very certain is a roo, hes very boyish, he likes to round up all the others and keep everyone in check...though he has NOT started crowing yet...

This is Pecky...

And This is red (im kinda hoping red is a girl cause this is such a sweet chicken!

the ones directly behind red are my girlies...and peckies comb looks exactly like reds which looks like the girlies...

these pics are about a week and a half-2 weeks old...pecky and reds combs and wattles are unchanged and don't seem to be getting bigger or brighter.

no one has seemed to mke any attempts at crowing this far (least none that ive heard...)

would love thoughts on this one...im pretty certain pecky and red are not multi gen rhodebars, but that matters a little less to me than knowing if ive got extra roos or not...

(they are now outdoors in their new coop btw, please excuse the yucky brooder this is a day before we moved them out and I didn't bother cleaning it.

Last edited:
I don't think you have any roos in this bunch, but I'd like to see a side view of "big boy." Nothing seems too masculine about "big boy," but a side view would help with a more reliable opinion.

will try and get some new pics tomorrow, Big boy is also so named because he/it is quite a substantial bit larger than all the others lol.
will def try and get some new pics front and ide for you.
I certainly wouldn't be upset about all girls, but I will be contacting the seller about why im obviously confused about the genders of my supposedly sexlinked chickens from well established lines (supposedly greenfire farms lines...) obviously if these are all girls...they are not all rhodebars.

They all look like pullets to me. My RIR roo took forever to start crowing (five months now, and he still doesn't do it too often or loudly).

Those are some super cool looking chickens!

welcome-byc.gif

I'd be sending pics to the seller and asking why the birds don't look as expected. Be sure to leave appropriate feedback.

Last edited:
some more pics, sorry they are kinda blurry, chickens don't seem to understand what "hold still a second the people on the forum need pretty pictures" means...LOL

Pecky and Red...my 2 most suspect "boys"
I personally think Pullets...

Big Boy, this one im thinking roo...if any are roos, thi would be the one id want to be...

Red

Pecky (in the middle)

im definatly going to go back and contact the seller, because while the ones that hatched out with the chicpmonk stripes do still look like pullets...im having a VERY hard time beliving these are "pure" rhodebars from established lines and are more likely first gen from a barred rock and rhode island red...or other stuff lol.

this is 1 of the 3 "girls" the 3 girls all look exactly the same with the gold barring and all 3 hatched out as "girls" with the chipmonk stripes...

Back
Top Bottom