thoughts on a makeshift shelter for a couple days?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aubreynoramarie, Sep 6, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i just tried to incorperate my new buff orpington hen into my flock of four today and MMMMYYYYYY goodness was that rough! i know there is a pecking order that needs to be established, but my cockerrall jumped on her and when she tried to fight back my three pullets beat the snot out of her. i mean they were rolling on the ground, dust was flying, and the poor lil orpie was fighting for her dear life! haha, i know this is supposed to happen, but i dont think its supposed to be that bad. SO, i put some chicken wire down the center of the run and put the orp by herself on the one side. im thinking maybe if they can see eachother for a couple of days the introduction might not be as bad. plus i plan on selling my silkie cockerall and one pullet, so if theyre gone by the reintroduction, then at least she'll only get beat up by two chickens, not four.

my question is that since she doesnt have access to the coop, what household object can i use for shelter to make her more comfortable through the night? right now shes got a little cat carrier. i have two milk crates that i was thinking maybe i could stack on one another and throw a towel on the top, but im not sure.

any ideas? thanks [​IMG]

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
  3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:
    yes yes yes, believe you me, this has been beaten into every bycer's head a million times. that wasnt my question, i appreciate you trying to help but this isnt the first time ive gotten a new bird. yes ive been told a hundred times. thank you for hyjacking my thread.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I always have a place for the new chickens to meet the rest of the flock. For example sectioning off a place in the run so that they all get used to her first like you have already done. Give it a week or so before you try it again but if you have a place for them to free range in your yard then this is a great time for the chickens to meet new members as they are on neutral ground. The pecking order applies in the coop and in the run mostly. As far as a temporary enclosure, you already have a good temporary home with that dog crate. If your run is covered and very secure against any predators from getting into, then she should be fine with your current accomodations. If it is not, at dark put her in the crate if she isn't already there, and move her into a garage, your basement, or some other secure area for the night because some predators can reach through that crate. (i.e. racoons) and get her.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:thanks. because i live in the city, they are not free range birds, which is why i put wire down the center of run. glad the crate is enough, but good idea letting her into the house tonight. i suppose i could let her run around the mud room. our mudroom is actually attached to the coop, so they would be able to see eachother when they woke up in the morning, but not be able to get to eachother. thank you!

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Something like this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just another thought, night time is one of the best times to introduce new members. Maybe wait until dark and set her on a perch inside and then watch the situation in the morning to make sure all is well. There may not be quite the harshness to their aggression.
    Worth a try. I 'm sorry but really, besides that dog crate I really cant think of anything for you to use that wouldn't cost you too much time or too much money to mess with over just one chicken's introduction. These are just thoughts from my own experiences. Hope some of this was helpful to you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    hey thats really neat, can they jump onto the top of the wire and hang out up there?

and yeah, i planned on doing the introduction at night if the introduction during the day went sour. thats why i think it was smart to suggest bringing her inside at night because it just so happens that i can bring her inside to a place where the other girls can still wake up with her but not get to her.
    Also since the cockerral and my e.e. pullet will be gone during the next introduction, i am thinking that the other hens wont have the balls to fight her cuz shes wayyyy bigger than them

9. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Sounds like u have it worked out. Hope the poor little thing has better luck next time. The only thing I can suggest is put her in the coop after dark when u re-introduce her. That way the next morning they should accept her as one of the girls... hopefully. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by