Thoughts on breed of my 'surprise' chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PouleChick, May 25, 2018.

1. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    :frow:frowHi, possibly too early but I was wondering what you good people think of my little chick - 3 weeks old. It was given to me from the lady I got my Araucana eggs off from her mixed up layer pen which has all sorts in there (Splash Orpington, Faverolles, Araucana, Bresse, Australorp and not sure what else!). It has always been bigger than the 3 Araucana and has orange'y legs and a quite defined shaped comb. Any ideas on breed (gender would be good too!)?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. kriz the farmer

kriz the farmer Songster

May 14, 2018
    delhi
    well i think cockerel as they have thicker leg and raised out chest

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I think its a Faverolle mix, maybe with the splash orpington. I see feathers on its legs.

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  4. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Oh my goodness you are right there is! I had never noticed - unless it is some weird trick of light - I'll have a look at it when I go down later! The lady I got them off said to count the toes to see if there is Faverolles (not sure if she meant that that is a dominant gene?) in it - and it only has 4 not 5 so I had discounted but maybe it isn't dominant and perhaps she meant if it was full Faverolles it would have 5. I was thinking splash Orpington due to the colouring but never seen a chick so no idea really but that may turn out a lovely chicken if it is a mix of the 2 :lol::ya:ya:jumpy

ECSandCCFS likes this.
  5. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Marans can have feathered legs. Maybe a blue splash marans?

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  6. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Crowing

Apr 24, 2018
    X2 this was my thought

7. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    The egg she came out of was pale (kind of white I think rather than pale brown if that makes sense) so no I don't think there is Marans in it - although the lady does keep them - I understand that the dark is dominant although I may be wrong, I just think I read that. Thinking about it it didn't look dissimilar to the Faverolles eggs I put under my 2nd broody.

8. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I was going off the list of breeds the lady she got this chick had.

drumstick diva and dunnmom like this.
  9. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Crowing 5 Years

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    2x

10. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Maybe you could ask the lady you got her from. I hatched a dozen barnyard mix eggs, and the guy I got them from knows his parent stock pretty well. Maybe the lady will be able to shed some light once it feathers out a little more. Also to note, not all marans lay dark brown eggs. Anyhow, if there's a mixed flock and no separate breeding pens, your chick could be a mix of anything. You should ask her what breeds her roos are. The blue splash could come from the Orpington mom, but those feathers on the legs probably come from dad.

Last edited: May 25, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: