Thoughts on chick accessories

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seafood, Feb 29, 2008.

1. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Chicks will be here in a few weeks. I have a couple quick questions I would love some feedback on.

First question. Brooder heat lamp lights. Red or regular white? Is there a difference in the color? Do the chicks care if it is red or white? Advantages/disadvantages? I assume with a red bulb you can simulate “day light hours” better by turning the rooms lights off at night. The red light would provide heat but not light. Whereas a regular bulb would make it “daytime” 24/7. I am borrowing a lamp from a friend but will need to purchase a light. Do I really need to spend $8 on a light or can I get a red or white, high wattage bulb in el cheapo brand?

Also prepping coop for chicks. They wont be out there until mid April but trying to get things in order.

I have built the nest boxes and roosts. Cut a hole in barn and built a hinging door for daytime access in and out of coop. I plan on building a home made waterer like the one on this site with a 5 gallon bucket and plastic planting tray. (BTW…what a great idea. Should cost me $5!)

I am trying to figure out what to do for a feeder. I saw Agway has a metal tray with legs that keeps it about 3 or 4 inches off the ground. Seems like it would be pretty easy to clean out when necessary. But is it going to get filled with poop because it is so low? I am afraid to attach a built in trough on the wall of the coop because I don’t want the chickens roosting on it. So, what do you all use for feeders? Home made or store bought?

Thanks for any feedback

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I can answer the light question. Red is much better cause it prevents the chicks pecking eachother

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I have used rabbit sifter-type feeders. Actually I did that by accident when I first got ducklings, as the feeders were in with the chicken/duck feeders, but I now prefer those types of feeders to the other feeder types. You can hang it level with their necks and they can't mess the food up too much. Only problem is that some of my ducks like to pull the food out onto the ground, so now I keep a container underneath to catch and recycle the unused feed.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I don't know what is best in a lite but the feeder question still has me wandering. I have a 16" trough style with a rolling strap to keep the chicks from standing on top. They have now managed to learn the balance trick on the turning flap. I had to raise the feeder off the brooder floor by 2" so it slowes down the wood chip problem. I have 15 chicks and there are times they fight over space getting in line to access food. 7 on one side and 8 on the other. They empty it in less than 2 hours. What pigs. I will be looking for a larger feeder soon as they are only 3 weeks old. In 3 weeks I have gone through about 18 lbs of food. Keep that in mind when you buy. John

5. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I like the white lights. My chicks stay in my room and my room is unbearable hot for most people (perfect for me!) so they dont get too hot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by