1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thoughts on :Chicken Coop Outlet Large Metal 20x10 ft Chicken Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WhisperingOaks, Sep 30, 2016.

1. WhisperingOaks

WhisperingOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    I found this on Amazon:
    Chicken Coop Outlet Large Metal 20x10 ft Chicken Coop Backyard Hen House Cage Run Outdoor Cage
    It is under $700 and I think it would work perfect attached to my coop. The price seems too good to be true- what am I missing? I couldn't find any reviews and my internet is too slow to upload a pic.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    NO!!! It's covered in chicken wire, so no predator protection! You can use a cyclone fence dog run, often sold on craig's list, as a semi-safe run, and with upgrades, make it pretty good. A cattle panel hoop structure isn't hard to build and upgrade, either. Mary

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Is this the unit?

https://www.amazon.com/ChickenCoopOutlet-Large-Chicken-Backyard-Outdoor/dp/B01CLVKYQ0
    Excellent point. I would be concerned about the tensile strength of the wire as well. You may end up reinforcing the original wire with hardware cloth if Mary is correct.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. WhisperingOaks

Jul 18, 2016
    Yes Hokom Coco that is the one- the pics and description were not good enough for me to feel like I knew what I was buying.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like there are no reviews yet.
    Frame looks OK, but mesh is inadequate for predator deterrence....except hawks.

6. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

It's essentially a $200 portable garage frame with chicken wire zip-tied to it, any larger predator will be able to rip through the chicken wire and gain access in minutes if not seconds if they are determined...

For the nearly $800 it will cost after shipping and taxes you could do much better building your own hoop house or cattle panel frame covered in 1/2" hardware cloth...

7. WhisperingOaks

Jul 18, 2016
    So is there a better option? Good price and same size?

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If the goal is to protect from predators, yes there are better options as the chicken wire on that thing simply won't stop predators... And IMO $800 for the frame alone is too much, with some creativity you can do much better and for the same cost...

9. WhisperingOaks

Jul 18, 2016
    Thanks - I currently have the rugged ranch universal walk in run w an extension. It is super well made but expensive. Just looking for options- my flock needs more room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by