Thoughts on converting a corner of this shed.

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
If you haven't seen my prior posts, I live in SW Missouri. I'm getting 4 hens given to me in a couple weeks. Biggest worry is summer heat and humidity and predators.

This is our old, really cruddy, garden shed. It's 10x25. We only use it to store the mower and some fishing equipment. My thought was to take a 5x5 corner (first pic) and wall it off with hardware cloth. This is a very non-secure shed. As you can see, there are big gaps around the door and even at the roof (pics 2-4). We can NOT predator-proof the shed, but we CAN the corner in question whis is, ironically, the best sealed and driest part of the shed. We can add vents at the roof if necessary and windows are planned. This end of the shed is in shade and on the north side.

Biggest downsides I'm aware of: There is no electric or water and it's about 120 feet from the house, but we can run a very long extension cord if necessary for heated water, fans, etc. It's also right on our property line, close to the neighbors with small dogs and cats. I'll post more about that in the replies discussing the run.

All thoughts are welcome.

P.S. The rest of our property is WAY nicer than this awful shed!
20220730_120000.jpg
20220730_120011.jpg
20220730_120015.jpg
20220730_120026.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the outside of the shed, it is quite close to the neighbors. I think we'll have to put in a short length of privacy fence to keep their little dogs from going nuts. I think that we can predator-proof a run on the outside well enough, as cats and dogs are the big danger during the day and the hens will be indoors at night. I like this corner because it's on the NW corner of the shed and shaded.
20220730_120326.jpg
20220730_120332.jpg
20220730_120310.jpg

Oh, what a nice size shed! It's not awful at all, it's got character. 😁

An option for fans without cords, Ryobi makes one called the air cannon and it's an 18" I believe and can run on cord or their batteries. They've been a great help in not having a power source close to our coops. We use the large one in our large coop and the small non misting one in our small coop.

I don't feel like the solar fans would move enough air, but solar maybe an option for a water heater or a battery bank of some sort. Just some possible ideas.

So I
Oh, what a nice size shed! It's not awful at all, it's got character. 😁

An option for fans without cords, Ryobi makes one called the air cannon and it's an 18" I believe and can run on cord or their batteries. They've been a great help in not having a power source close to our coops. We use the large one in our large coop and the small non misting one in our small coop.

I don't feel like the solar fans would move enough air, but solar maybe an option for a water heater or a battery bank of some sort. Just some possible ideas.
Guess you think there idea will work? :) We bought a Ryobi misting fan this summer. It's awesome...and works without water too.

Just make sure since that sheds near ur neighbors property what ur local ordinances are for how close it is to their building.

But that looks like you can do quiet a bit in it, as far as electricity I see lots of people who do and dont heat their chickens.

And how do u plan to provide ventilation out of there?

So I

Guess you think there idea will work? :) We bought a Ryobi misting fan this summer. It's awesome...and works without water too.
Oh definitely, and being that large, if you choose in the future to expand their interior area you easily could. Just predator proof and vent well.

I love the fans. Good to know it works without water, I debated that option but didn't really see a need since they have misters in their run.

Just make sure since that sheds near ur neighbors property what ur local ordinances are for how close it is to their building.

And how do u plan to provide ventilation out of there?
There are no codes at all where we live. We'll talk to the neighbors out of courtesy of course.

Ventilation is really the question. I can put louvered vents at the top by the roof on several places if it's not big and drafty enough without. I'm planning on a couple windows.

If you haven't seen my prior posts, I live in SW Missouri. I'm getting 4 hens given to me in a couple weeks. Biggest worry is summer heat and humidity and predators.

This is our old, really cruddy, garden shed. It's 10x25. We only use it to store the mower and some fishing equipment. My thought was to take a 5x5 corner (first pic) and wall it off with hardware cloth. This is a very non-secure shed. As you can see, there are big gaps around the door and even at the roof (pics 2-4). We can NOT predator-proof the shed, but we CAN the corner in question whis is, ironically, the best sealed and driest part of the shed. We can add vents at the roof if necessary and windows are planned. This end of the shed is in shade and on the north side.

Biggest downsides I'm aware of: There is no electric or water and it's about 120 feet from the house, but we can run a very long extension cord if necessary for heated water, fans, etc. It's also right on our property line, close to the neighbors with small dogs and cats. I'll post more about that in the replies discussing the run.

All thoughts are welcome.

P.S. The rest of our property is WAY nicer than this awful shed!
View attachment 3205540View attachment 3205542View attachment 3205543View attachment 3205544
I converte part of my shed for a coop worked out great I say do it! :celebrate

I am wondering how many vents I really need. I found 16" x 4" vents that are just dirt cheap, so money is not an issue. Maybe one between every other stud opening? That would be about 6 - 7 per side?

Back
Top Bottom